• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Front door - repair or replace ?

Op, Im not sure how handy you are. The rot being on the hinge side is better than the knob side. Less impact. You will have to join the jamb to the threshold if you repair via splice. Ive done it several times. It doesnt have to be fancy. Just creative. When the jamb and nosing are rotted like yours, the factory fasteners will be gone too. Ive run lag bolts down through the threshold into the floor plate but leave the lag proud of the threshold by and inch or two. This gives the bondo something to grab a hold of. It sounds like a shady repair but on the hinge side it would be fine. Compare the cost of a new $1k+ door plus installation plus interior trim/paint touch up. There are doors/trim assemblies sold today with a polyester bottom to them that “will never rot”. So it aint just me :)

I'd be tempted to try myself except if it takes too long / cat gets out / run into problems the wife will make my life miserable.........

I'd be tempted to try myself except if it takes too long / cat gets out / run into problems the wife will make my life miserable.........
If the cat gets out, she’ll come back. Cant help with the wife. If you were closer, Id pitch in myself.

Just fixed mine with similar rot. Cost me about $150 for the WoodEpox/Liquid Wood kit. But worth every penny...

1ac477f9834d2186b15c1f61a9e0a582.jpg
59033cba0e9612ee67de08b7a7e3902a.jpg
65d293a3994c2a47df0f9324a4cce61d.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom