• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fresh Pork

airx22

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
So I decided to raise a couple of pigs this year for me and a buddy. First time I've ever done anything like this so I wasn't sure what to expect.
I'll hit the highlights and if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.
Bought the pig in mid July it was a 30lbs.berkshire.
I had it for right about 6 months and took it up for processing last Wednesday 1/10/2018.

Never had any issues with them getting out of their pen. They had all the food they wanted in a self feeder and plenty of water. Pigs are super strong and will root up any type of red clay. They crap A LOT !!!! Never had any issues with them being cold some mornings they were sleeping out in the open temps in the teens. Hanging weight when processed was 200lbs. Had most of the meat vacuum sealed which was extra. Total cost for processing was $140
Got most of my feed from Resaca Sun,all non-GMO feed which was about $300.
All in all I got about $500 per pig and I have a freezer full of meat I'd guess 165lbs. The sausage is really good,bacon being cured so we'll see how that turns out,had a really good roast yesterday. For me it was more about the experience and knowing where my food comes from. Would I do it again ?,probably so. Learned good bit along the way,still lots more to learn. If your thinking about doing it I'd recommend it. If anyone has suggestions feel free to shoot them to me.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom