• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Forward Assist Needed in an Urban Environment?

Just curious where you work that allows a privately owned rifle. State licensed security guards are only allowed pistols and shotguns. No rifles of any type per the state. Federal security provides the weapons for those contracts. As to the question yes to a forward assist no matter the environment.
I own the company and if the contract outlines ars then its all good. Laws surrounding security are really odd when it comes to contract fulfillment.

I'd personally not carry an AR for life saving duty without one. In the land of super extended charging handles being moved about, all it takes is 1/8 inch for first round to click not bang. Tapping the forward assist assures the gun is locked up ready to shoot. Its not like a handgun where you can physically see the slide not fully forward at a glance, you won't know until you need it. YMMV
I’m probably going to stick with forward assist just to be on the safe side.

I own the company and if the contract outlines ars then its all good. Laws surrounding security are really odd when it comes to contract fulfillment.

I’m probably going to stick with forward assist just to be on the safe side.
Dirt cheap insurance. IMO. If you ever start shooting suppressed it will become your best friend. I'd put 1 suppressed round at 10 regular rounds in gunk back into the gun. Nice to love tap to be sure. Kinda like gun foreplay.

No. If I have a round that’s not chambering for whatever reason, the last thing I want to do is wedge it the **** in there worse. You can always bolt forward with a finger through the ejection port.

I've never needed to hit my forward assist when shooting an AR or after I've worked the charging handle to load a round into the chamber...

... but I have had to tap that button a couple of times when I press-checked my AR to confirm the chamber was loaded, and letting the bolt carrier close under its own spring pressure when drawn back only half an inch or so was not sufficient to fully chamber the round.

So yes, I say get it with the forward assist if you can.

If you ended up buying an AR pattern rifle without a forward assist, I'd practice alternative means of handling the situation where your rifle only chambers the new round 98% of the way. Practice rapidly working the charging handle, or maybe (in a real emergency, not just while shooting at the range) slamming the rifle muzzle-down on the ground or otherwise muzzle-break-first into a solid object.

Just curious where you work that allows a privately owned rifle. State licensed security guards are only allowed pistols and shotguns. No rifles of any type per the state. Federal security provides the weapons for those contracts. As to the question yes to a forward assist no matter the environment.

You're getting this from the Rules and Regulations of the State of Georgia, 509-2-.04, and .05, and Rule 509-4-.01. Yes, those rules say only handguns and shotguns.

And what you said is true IF the person is working security for a guard company, a provider of security services to individuals and businesses. In other words, somebody who works for an agency or service who is in the security business.

What if a person is an in-house, W-2 EMPLOYEE of the company that they are guarding, and that company is not in the guard business, but they make widgets, or sell their services of banking, fortune-telling, or massages with happy endings?

Not all armed guards need to be licensed by, or are otherwise bound by any of the weapons restrictions found in, Chapter 38 of Title 43 of the Official Code of Georgia.

See OCGA 43-38-14 (d).

No. If I have a round that’s not chambering for whatever reason, the last thing I want to do is wedge it the **** in there worse. You can always bolt forward with a finger through the ejection port.

That‘s not what the forward assist was designed for. This is a fallacy that has been perpetuated around the internet for decades, started by folks that were either never trained, or were trained improperly.

All our previous semi-auto/select-fire long arms had forward assist capability (M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M14), as does the AK family and it’s variants. All of these arms have a reciprocating charging handle. If you push forward on the charging handle, it performs the exact same task as the FA on the M16/AR family.

Fast forward to the M16’s development. This weapons system has a non-reciprocating charging handle. The only thing that pushing forward on it does is lock it in place.

The military recognizes that there are times when you need to chamber a round quietly. Pulling back on the charging handle and letting it fly makes quite a recognizable racket. Pulling it back slowly, and easing it forward, won’t always reliably chamber a round fully and allow the bolt to go into battery. So, the final step is to use the forward assist.

The same applies to press-checking. If you do an actual press-check, the bolt may not go back into battery. Use the forward assist.

When performing either of the above tasks with the M1 Carbine/M1 Garand/M14/AK, the final step is to push the charging handle forward FIRMLY. That’s the forward assist function of the reciprocating charging handle.

If you have a round that won’t chamber in an M1 Carbine/M1 Garand/M14/AK, and you shove the charging handle forward in an ill-guided attempt to get it to chamber (which no one trains or advises, BTW), you will end up with the same mess that you’d have if you used the FA on an AR for the same incorrect purpose.

I was a Small Arms Instructor in the Corps, a Firearms Instructor for LE at state and Federal levels, and have run my own firearms training business for over 20 years. I have never taught to use the forward assist to cram a recalcitrant round deeper into the chamber, nor was I ever taught to do so in the Corps (Marines know a thing or two about running an M16), or any Instructor-certification course I have ever attended.

The forward assist performs flawlessly when used at intended. Like any device in the world, when used improperly, it can cause problems.

The problem lies not in the forward assist, but in folks that don’t know what they’re doing.

Good reminder, CM. Failure to fire, when you know you've got ammo remaining in the mag, does NOT mean you go pounding on your weapon's charging handle (or rear of slide, if it's a pistol).

Instead, you'd do a Tap (of the magazine, making sure it's fully in), Rack (manually cycle the action), [re-assess as needed] and Bang, right?

That‘s not what the forward assist was designed for. This is a fallacy that has been perpetuated around the internet for decades, started by folks that were either never trained, or were trained improperly.

All our previous semi-auto/select-fire long arms had forward assist capability (M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M14), as does the AK family and it’s variants. All of these arms have a reciprocating charging handle. If you push forward on the charging handle, it performs the exact same task as the FA on the M16/AR family.

Fast forward to the M16’s development. This weapons system has a non-reciprocating charging handle. The only thing that pushing forward on it does is lock it in place.

The military recognizes that there are times when you need to chamber a round quietly. Pulling back on the charging handle and letting it fly makes quite a recognizable racket. Pulling it back slowly, and easing it forward, won’t always reliably chamber a round fully and allow the bolt to go into battery. So, the final step is to use the forward assist.

The same applies to press-checking. If you do an actual press-check, the bolt may not go back into battery. Use the forward assist.

When performing either of the above tasks with the M1 Carbine/M1 Garand/M14/AK, the final step is to push the charging handle forward FIRMLY. That’s the forward assist function of the reciprocating charging handle.

If you have a round that won’t chamber in an M1 Carbine/M1 Garand/M14/AK, and you shove the charging handle forward in an ill-guided attempt to get it to chamber (which no one trains or advises, BTW), you will end up with the same mess that you’d have if you used the FA on an AR for the same incorrect purpose.

I was a Small Arms Instructor in the Corps, a Firearms Instructor for LE at state and Federal levels, and have run my own firearms training business for over 20 years. I have never taught to use the forward assist to cram a recalcitrant round deeper into the chamber, nor was I ever taught to do so in the Corps (Marines know a thing or two about running an M16), or any Instructor-certification course I have ever attended.

The forward assist performs flawlessly when used at intended. Like any device in the world, when used improperly, it can cause problems.

The problems lies not in the forward assist, but in folks that don’t know what they’re doing.
I agree with you. In my use (competition and hone defense) I don’t have the need to be quiet. I certainly see it for hunting but I can just let the ch fly. I also have the ability to keep the rifle cleaner than someone spending a lot of time in dirt or sand.

of all the rounds I’ve had fail to chamber completely, it’s been a problem with ammo 100% of the time. So I’d be better off ripping that round out anyway.

Back
Top Bottom