• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Forward Assist Needed in an Urban Environment?

I will lock the bolt to the rear first, as it allows me to examine the chamber and feedway for anything that I don’t want there. After that it’s:

INSERT

TUG DOWN

BOLT RELEASE

PRESS CHECK

FORWARD ASSIST

An alternate method that I teach is to look at your magazine BEFORE you insert it, and look at which side the top round is on. For instance, say that the top round is on the left. Then it’s:

INSERT

BOLT RELEASE

REMOVE MAGAZINE

EXAMINE (look to make sure that the top round in the magazine is now on the right side)

RE-INSERT

TUG DOWN

No reason to press check now, as we verified that the top round switched from one side to the other.

This is a method that I would use for initial loading only.
You should make some videos and start posting them. I know you have classes. But there are a lot of youngsters on here that I’m sure would love your experience.

This is somewhat a one-off example, but we carry our patrol rifles cruiser ready (empty chamber). We were getting ready to serve a warrant and I forgot to chamber it...yeah my fault. Since we were trying to make a more tactical, quiet approach to the house, I had to somehow chamber my rifle without making a bunch of noise. I eased the bolt back, eased it forward, then tapped the FA a couple times to make sure it was chambered. It helped there, but that’s the only time I’ve ever used one. YMMV

That‘s the main reason the FA was incorporated in the M16.

Just to check, we can have a loaded rifle in the car with us in Georgia, so long as we are not on WMA land, correct?
In general, yes (and PFAs).

"In addition, regarding wildlife management areas and public fishing areas, Georgia prohibits the possession of:

A firearm other than a handgun, during a closed hunting season for that area, unless such firearm is unloaded and stored in a motor vehicle so as not to be readily accessible;

A handgun during a closed hunting season for that area unless such person possesses a valid weapons carry license;
A loaded firearm other than a handgun, in a motor vehicle during a legal open hunting season for that area; or

A loaded handgun in a motor vehicle during a legal open hunting season for that area unless such person possesses a valid weapons carry license."

Back
Top Bottom