• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For anyone thinking of giving a pet rabbit as a gift. Not food items but something your child will bond with and love.

i've seen both sides. seen some rabbits which were pretty much left like a prisoner in a cage which is a ****ty way to live. Then i've known friends that had some that were just like dogs, would come when you called, hop right in your lap and just hang out as long as you wanted but i would consider a rabbit to be just as much work as a dog or cat, probably more so.

I had the best rabbit as a kid. His name was Harvey and he was super smart…litter box trained, playful etc. he would sit in the corner and wait while we completed our building block skyscraper and soon as the last block was placed, he’d race across the room, bulldoze the tower and return to his spot and wait for us to do it all over again.

My developmentally challenged cousin kicked him to death. To make up for the trauma, my mom bought us four new rabbits, two boys and two girls. They were awesome too. We were so excited when the females got pregnant…we were gonna have a ton more rabbits! 🤣

What we didn’t know is how territorial and possessive male rabbits are. The babies were born and we thought it was awesome. I woke up the next morning to bloody carnage in the pen. The two males murdered all the babies. It was a bloody, brutal mess and not something this five year old was prepared to see. We never had any pet rabbits after that. Just stew.

We had one years ago.
We called him Oliver (after Oliver North).
Smart as he could be, litter box trained and behaved very much like one of the dogs. Loved to play and cuddle and would play fetch with his toys
When he finally passed at a ripe old rabbit age we bought a new one that turned out to be just your plain old dumb bunny and was quickly regulated to the bunny cage.
When picking out a rabbit for a pet it's very much a crapshoot.

This reminds me I had conditioned some wild rabbits to come when called while I lived in Chicago. Lincoln Park is covered in rabbits. I'd slice apples and toss them to the rabbits. Pretty soon when they saw me on the back porch, they'd come running. I'd even peel the apples for the babies. It lowered my blood pressure to have them come running. One even got so bold as to hop up on the porch and beg for apples. He'd stand on hind legs and dance around in a circle waving his front legs like a dog. Got him to where he'd take the apple slice from my hand.

We’ve been there. Two kids, two rabbits. The y piss and crap often, cages need to be cleaned every few days or it smells awful, they chew on any and everything. Thankfully kids are older and no more rabbits!!! I like them, but they’re a little to lean.

I worked at a family owned Feed & seed as a teen. The wife was running the store all day but that morning the husband came in to grab me to help him catch their escaped goats. I had to pull at least one out from under a mobile home. It was not a good time. We were putting the last one up around noon. His daughter walked up loving and hold two rabbits. They were cute and I entertained her by holding one. As the conversation ended she asked me if I wanted one. She was persistent but I declined. I went back to work loading feed for the rest of the day. I went into the store front at the end of the day to see if we were ready to close and I could go home. The wife said yes but her daughter left me a gift for catching the goats and commented she didn't know I liked rabbits. As she walked to the back I cussed and wondered what I was going to do and tell my Mom. Suddenly, she rounded the corner carrying a paper grocery bag with a smirk. I hesitantly took the bag and looked to find it full of dressed rabbits. They laughed at me about that for years and probably still do.

Back
Top Bottom