• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

fly fishing taccoa river

m@w

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
15   0
Reaction score
I am fairly new to fly fishing. I have been to rock creek and amacolola river off 53. I am wanting to take my fiancé to the river and I've never been to taccoa. Is there any advice on a section that is relatively easy to get too and wade? I'm not trying to steal a spot but I just would like to see her catch something. Thanks everyone for the help.

The easiest spot is right off of 515 at what I think is called Tammen park. Just before you cross over the bridge
there is a road to your right that goes down to the park. You can access the river from here and there is good
fishing as well. You can also take the first right after the bridge and fish just below the dam. Neither of these
charge a fee.

2 Things you need to know. 1 if you are planning on wading, felt soles are a must here. It is very slick.
and second you need to call ahead of time and check the schedule of the dam let-out. The number
is 1-800-238-2264 and follow the instructions but I think it is 2 then 4.

If you walk past the picnic areas and enter just below them the fishing seems to be better. You
can go down under the bridge and the fishing is great.

If you can stop by Unicoi Outfitters in Blue Ridge it is well worth it. Those guys are full of info
and can get you set up with the right flies if needed.

If you need anymore info, let me know. I always start with a elk hair caddis with a gold ribbed
hares ear dropper about 30" down.

Back
Top Bottom