First real attempt at making a knife.

olchevy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
138   0
Reaction score
Well it will be my first real attempt.

I really want a new blade, but I have no expendable cash so I decided to try my hand at making my own knife. I have fiddled around with it in the past and made a few usable blades, but not anything to get excited about. So I went online and found a design I liked, printed it out, cut it out, then transferred them over to cardboard to see how it would fit in the hand. I think I like the medium sized one best. Anyways I'm going to try on this random bar stock my father brought home from delta a while back. No idea what steel it is, but it is magnetic and rust so I know it's steel, at least I hope. And then if my attempt turns out well I will get some real steel from my cousin.

Below are the three designs and how they fit in my hand in order of smallest to largest.
Blade lengths respectively are roughly: 3.5", 4.0", 4.5"
Wish me luck, and if you have any tips let me know! Thanks,
Justin

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot yeah! Looks like a great project to me. I want to do the same thing, but got too much other stuff going on at the moment. Will be waiting for updates-

I found files to be too brittle. Leaf spring steel is great for making knives because it's strong and not very brittle. I do like your design. looks good.

I found files to be too brittle. Leaf spring steel is great for making knives because it's strong and not very brittle. I do like your design. looks good.

I have made knives out of leaf springs before but all my pieces I have are way to thick right now.

Back
Top Bottom