• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Job Interview in 10 Years

I had a job interview with the guy who bought the company I was managing about 5 years ago. He flew in and I met him at the Air Port along with my current bosses/owners for a sit down interview. I wore a suit (I work from home and am always in jeans and a tee shirt). He appreciated the suit. What he didn't know was I wore a pair of dress shoes that I hadn't worn in several years. By the time I had driven from home, parked and walked to the meeting room the shoes had lacerated my heels and every step was agony but he never saw it. I was barely able to walk when I got home, even though I took off my shoes and walked in sock feet once I got out of their sight.

We talked and he liked what I had to say (plus my history of raising profits 20 to 30 percent a year for the previous 20 years made him smile).

I got offered a job (didn't take it but suggested one of the guys who worked for me as director) but accepted a lower position than what I had since I was still corporate memory and had contacts with a lot of other people. After 4 years as a coordinator I stepped down to billing and part time 3 days a week. I'll be retiring sometime next year and I've trained everyone that crossed my path. Now they can pick up the reins and I can sit back and relax.

Good luck with your interview.

It goes without saying -
Tell us about when you didn't deliver, failed, screwed up -- choose one where you planned the recovery and saved the day later

Some may want to see your social media so you might want to scrub it especially if you (or your friends) are anti-vax or anti -Biden or pro-life and pro-gun

These days companies are less and less likely to let interviewers ask whatever they feel like asking. Company supplies a pre-approved pool of questions, you pick and choose those which you'll use and whatever set you use you have to use for ALL candidates.

Hey Folks,

Been casually job hunting the last month or two as I have been increasingly unhappy at my current job of almost 10 years. After phone interview and aptitude/personality test, I have been called back for an in-person interview. First job interview I have had in a long time. Got a new suit as my workplace went casual about 4 years ago and I haven't had a reason to dress up for years. Grey suit, was going to go with a patterned (squares) shirt with solid tie, dressy enough for an interview? It's an account management position at a materials distribution company. Looking to return an actual balance to work/life so I can spend time with the wife and kids again during the week. Also looking for solid barber recommendations in the Acworth/Woodstock/Kennesaw area as the wife has dealt with my hair and beard on the backporch for the last while.

Thanks!
Caleb
Call up to vintage Jack's in canton.
They have 10 barbers, all are pretty booked but may squeeze you in, you can't go wrong with any of them

And don't forget the crushing hand shake. Especially if you have females interviewing you. Establishes dominance and they will know you're an Alpha.

Yeah, no, don't do this.
Don't stop til bones crack.

I always try to sidestep talk of salary during an early interview because I've never seen it benefit anyone. Just my experience. I don't work in a field where HR people make hiring decisions though.

I always try to sidestep talk of salary during an early interview because I've never seen it benefit anyone. Just my experience. I don't work in a field where HR people make hiring decisions though.

Asking the "salary range" before the interview can save a lot of wasted time. No... I would not consider working for your company for 35% less than the going rate in the area.

Asking the "salary range" before the interview can save a lot of wasted time. No... I would not consider working for your company for 35% less than the going rate in the area.

Agreed 100% I received a call from a corporate body shop chain around 2003. Somehow they got ahold of my resume, called me on my work phone and offered me a position as a manager. My first question was what's the salary range? There was no need to continue the conversation.

I had a job interview with the guy who bought the company I was managing about 5 years ago. He flew in and I met him at the Air Port along with my current bosses/owners for a sit down interview. I wore a suit (I work from home and am always in jeans and a tee shirt). He appreciated the suit. What he didn't know was I wore a pair of dress shoes that I hadn't worn in several years. By the time I had driven from home, parked and walked to the meeting room the shoes had lacerated my heels and every step was agony but he never saw it. I was barely able to walk when I got home, even though I took off my shoes and walked in sock feet once I got out of their sight.

We talked and he liked what I had to say (plus my history of raising profits 20 to 30 percent a year for the previous 20 years made him smile).

I got offered a job (didn't take it but suggested one of the guys who worked for me as director) but accepted a lower position than what I had since I was still corporate memory and had contacts with a lot of other people. After 4 years as a coordinator I stepped down to billing and part time 3 days a week. I'll be retiring sometime next year and I've trained everyone that crossed my path. Now they can pick up the reins and I can sit back and relax.

Good luck with your interview.

Not sure how it applies, minus the last 5 words, but ok. Can I have 30 seconds of my life back?

Back
Top Bottom