First Batch of Beer

sometimes with extract brewing if you add the extract near the beginning, it will "carmelize" and darken the beer a bit more than the ingredients might suggest. Look around online at some of the "late extract additions" or using more water with your boil (I usually do 4 gallon boils, and add 1/2 of the extracts later in the boil (15-20 minutes from flame out) to keep the beer lighter. Not as important with darker beers but if you are trying to keep the beer light (low SRM) it helps a bit.

looking good though!!!! :)

Thanks Speedy! I actually did a 6 gallon boil I followed the recipe and it said to add the extract at the start of the boil. I will try adding the extract a little later next time, thanks for the info. I have already brewed my second batch a wit style. It actually did call for the extract to be added during the last half of the boil. I am anxious to see how it turns out, I know one thing though this wit batch is fermenting a lot more vigorus than the IPA. I put it in the primary on July 3rd and I am going to transfer it to my secondary on this Friday. I had some friends over for the 4th and they cleaned me out of all my beer. I guess it must have been good haha. I appreciate any advice as this is my first venture into the realm of beer.

Back
Top Bottom