• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Firearms on a commercial airplane.

yes it should be allowed. if it's a good idea or not is a different story. Guns should be legal to be carried on planes, trains, automobiles, etc. Mine have been in all sorts of places that many would find surprising.

doesn't seem comfy, airline seats are tiny enough as it is without a holster.
Ankle holster takes care of that :)

I am all for gun control…. If there is a gun around, I want to be in control of it ! :becky:

Civilian possession of guns on planes ??
It is like already stated, one discharge through the skin and everyone is in peril . It doesn’t matter if it was a ND or on purpose or even a missed target during a hi-jack.
I think planes are about one of the only places firearms should be restricted . There may be one or two others but planes in the air is just way too dangerous to too many people. Even folks on the ground where the plane crashes are in danger If it happens.
Just my .02 ….
Actually test have shown that a bullet hole through the skin of an airplane would have no effect because of the plane's capacity to maintain positive pressure.

Mythbusters, among others, did a show on this, and they eventually had to use explosives to blow a hole to create negative pressure in the fuselage,

Actually test have shown that a bullet hole through the skin of an airplane would have no effect because of the plane's capacity to maintain positive pressure.

Mythbusters, among others, did a show on this, and they eventually had to use explosives to blow a hole to create negative pressure in the fuselage,
I wouldnt be so much worried about the aircraft skin, id be much more worried about the bullet taking out controls, operating mechanisms or pilots. Redundancy can only prepare you for so much at 30k feet.

I'm not an aerospace engineer but I do come from a family of pilots and aerospace engineers, and I don't get the impression that a single bullet or even a several handgun-caliber bullet holes could cause decompression of an aircraft.

The bigger concern would be whether the slipstream --the 500 mile an hour wind outside the aircraft-- could take a small but irregularly shaped bullet hole and rip it wide open, bigger. Maybe if enough of the aircraft's aluminum skin were peeled back from bullet holes then the extra drag from that sheet metal hanging in the wind could overstress some of the structural crossmembers.

I don't know how much testing has been done on the topic of bullet holes expanding their own size due to wind forces at 500 miles an hour but during World War II a lot of aircraft took bullet impacts flying at 300 miles an hour and those holes did not wildly rip themselves into huge wounds.

I'm not even sure a small-arms round would definitely make its way thru the fuselage of an airliner, but as blazedawg87 blazedawg87 noted, there's an awful lot of control systems and wiring that could be damaged.

The survivability of an aircraft crash where all flight controls are disabled is far far lower than if you get a round in your arm at ground level. This isn't a reason to make having loaded firearms in the aircraft illegal, this is a reason for the owners of the aircraft to refuse to LET you have a loaded firearm in the aircraft.

You're playing silly buggers with their customers and their assets, and they don't want to pay additional insurance to cover their liability.

They are not obligated to give you a seat on their aircraft if you do not want to comply with their rules.

You are not obligated to take that flight if you don't like those rules.

Active LEO’s can fly armed under some circumstances. I think all active or retired LEO’s should be able to carry if they passed the Air Marshal qualification course. (Yes, it’s difficult)

It should not be illegal, since it’s private property, however when your right to self defense is removed by a company or individual it should be their responsibility to give adequate protection.

The point I'm making is that being in a crowed is not a good reason for not allowing a firearm to be carried. Crowds can be found in way to many places. It would be impractical to try and regulate it.

So again, why not on a plane?
A crowded airplane is not the same as a crowd on the street.

Back
Top Bottom