• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finish questions for older S&W Model 1955 .45

Here are a few more pics of the s&w. I'm going to try and remove some rust from the Ruger today and will post some more pics of that if I make any appreciable progress.

SW_model1955_45ACPa.jpgSW_model1955_45ACPb.jpgSW_model1955_45ACPc.jpg

Hi folks, I've got some older guns from my grandfather that I am trying to get fixed up and looking nice so I can keep them in the family and pass them down. The one I am looking at right now is an older S&W Model 1955 .45 ACP. I'm not very familiar with gun finishes but I'm thinking this one is blued...or is it possible that the gun hasn't really had any special finish? I did some research and it seems that most older guns are either parkerized or blued and I'm thinking this one is blued. Can anyone tell from this picture? Also, it appears that some of the finish is wearing off in places. I don't think there is any rust however. What options do I have to get it refinished so it will look nice and last a long time? Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks!

View attachment 198550

jhvaughan2 has made some EXCELLENT points/suggestions, and I'm SURE Jerry--JWC--Touched on this in his "PM", but UNLESS you are willing to spring for a PROFESSIONAL Restoration from someone who SPECIALIZES in such things--As opposed to just a Re-blue--You are probably better-off not doing ANYTHING to Grandpa's Smith & Wesson...Looks like just some "Honest Wear" to the original Bright Blue finish to me...

From the LOOKS of it--and it would be NICE to see the Right Side of the Revolver to be certain--You have a Model of 1955 Target in .45 ACP, aka the "pre-Model 25"...Those Stocks are Non-Relieved Diamond Target Stocks, and are CORRECT for a Four- or Five-Screw S&W like I think yours is...

In it's present condition, it is a FINE Revolver, one that ANY S&W Aficionado would LOVE to have--and since it was your Grandpa's--and since he apparently put some "Use" on it himself--I'd keep it ALL ORIGINAL and shoot it some myself, IF it was MINE--Remember, Grandpa probably put that "Finish Wear" and those "Character Marks" on it with his own hands...

Hope this has helped, and Jerry may CERTAINLY speak for me as far as we can NEVER have enough NICE Smith & Wesson Revolvers! LOL!....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom