• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finish questions for older S&W Model 1955 .45

tazmajazz

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've got some older guns from my grandfather that I am trying to get fixed up and looking nice so I can keep them in the family and pass them down. The one I am looking at right now is an older S&W Model 1955 .45 ACP. I'm not very familiar with gun finishes but I'm thinking this one is blued...or is it possible that the gun hasn't really had any special finish? I did some research and it seems that most older guns are either parkerized or blued and I'm thinking this one is blued. Can anyone tell from this picture? Also, it appears that some of the finish is wearing off in places. I don't think there is any rust however. What options do I have to get it refinished so it will look nice and last a long time? Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks!

sw_model1955_45acp.jpg

Actually, on the same topic, what about this Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt? This looks like it might have a little rust though...Some places look a little colorful and swirly too, not sure what that is the result of...

ruger_Vaquero_45colt.jpg

Tough call on the second one, I'm not that up to date on these models. I don't think Ruger used the case-hardening on those, but I could be wrong. Is that brass i'm seeing on the frame?

On cost, just shop around on gunsmiths. The price difference can be pretty wild from place to place.

Interesting, I had not heard of case hardened finish before you mentioned it. I googled case hardened ruger vaquero and came up with this post that has a gun that looks very similar to mine - including the brass looking areas. So maybe mine is case hardened too then. I guess I can go to a gunsmith and ask him and get some quote on refinishing them for me.

http://www.gunlistings.org/washingt...acoma/pistols/40413/ruger_vaquero_45colt45acp

Model 25's were either blued or nickeled. You maybe confused because the Model 1917 (also .45) was offered in a parkerized-like finish.

My advice, keep it oiled and love it like it is. There is nothing wrong with a little wear on a classic blued smith. It just shows it was used for what it was designed for. There is no logical reason for rebluing a S&W with no rust and 80% or more of the original blue.

Keep granddad's revolver like it was when he gave it to you.

You could send it back to S&W (or others) and spend hundreds on a re-blue but three things will happen
1) it will be worth LESS on the open market, than it is now (re-finished S&Ws just do not fetch the prices as nice quality original's do.)
2) you will be afraid to use it.
3) When you do use it you'll put a blem on it and hate yourself.

Thanks jhvaughan2, how about the Ruger? It looks like it actually has some rust and is discolored in other places. Do you think that one would be worth looking into getting refinished?

On the Ruger. It looks like case hardened steel to me. Does the coloring have some green and/or purple tints? I'm not sure Ruger made that model in brass, and if it was brass it would have been made to be shinny.

Case hardening is generally more expensive than Bluing. Again there is nothing wrong-looking that I can see, about that one either.

Rugers, generally are less collectable than S&W's (It says nothing on the quality, just the Mystique.) Even so, you will probably not raise it's value by the cost of what the refinish will cost.

There are ways to clean off light rust and just let the "wear" show through. Do a search for it. But stay away from any steal wool

Friendly advice: Save your refinishing money and buy more guns, or ammo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom