• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finish questions for older S&W Model 1955 .45

The Ruger does have areas that look like swirled purple/green/red, but it has quite a few surface rust looking areas as well which is what I'm really concerned about. Not sure the best way to go about removing rust from case hardened steel...brass wool and some oil maybe?

Some places look a little colorful and swirly too, not sure what that is the result of...
Just to be clear this "swirly" finish is what Case hardening looks like. It may seem odd at first glance but may people think it quite beautiful and original finish on firearms. Case hardening takes more skill than bluing and costs more to have done and in the finished product.

Just to be clear this "swirly" finish is what Case hardening looks like. It may seem odd at first glance but may people think it quite beautiful and original finish on firearms. Case hardening takes more skill than bluing and costs more to have done and in the finished product.
Yup yup. Way more dangerous to the person adding that finish too. Plus, you could warp the frame doing it.

We should have just waited for JWC, lol.
Taz (May I call you Taz?)

What ever you do don't sell it to JWC for a few reasons.

1) it was your grandads and you'll never get it back
2) the 25-2 is one of the best target shooters out there.
3) JWC and Mikey-357 just have two many nice S&W's. They make it too hard for the rest of us.

(I'm Joking here. Well about #3 anyway.)

ah, so the swirly colors are how it is meant to look. interesting. So maybe I really just need to remove the rust and I'll be good. Whats the best route for removing rust from case hard. guns? Brass wool and some oil? Thanks for all the info guys :)

Taz (May I call you Taz?)

What ever you do don't sell it to JWC for a few reasons.

1) it was your grandads and you'll never get it back
2) the 25-2 is one of the best target shooters out there.
3) JWC and Mikey-357 just have two many nice S&W's. They make it too hard for the rest of us.

(I'm Joking here. Well about #3 anyway.)

First off, Taz, and I will call him Taz, jhvaughn2 knows more about these guns than most of the guys on the S&W Forum. Listen to him about the middle '50's and earlier Smiths. He could write a book on them

Now, after I have given you that glowing statement, jhvaughn2, I will now address your comments.

1) That is correct. I don't sell often and when I do I hate it. But even I would not try and buy his grandfathers Smith.
2) That is also correct.
3) That is not correct. I can't speak for mikey, but I don't think I will ever have enough nice S&W revolvers. By the way, I believe you have a pretty good stash yourself, but you may have lost them in a terrible boating accident. lol.

Back
Top Bottom