• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever meet anyone famous and have a story to tell ?

I guess Tom Mann was pretty famous to the bass fishing crowd,
When I was around 16 years old I was really into fishing and making my own lures, I was also a big fan of Mann's TV show.

My grandad knew him and we went to Mann's store and "Fish World" this one time where I got to meet him, he was a very nice guy and when I told him I liked making lures, he took me upstairs to his little work area where he designed his lures.

He handed me a cardboard box and proceeded to fill it with unfinished lure bodies, paint, reflective scale tape and other lure parts... just gave them to me free of charge!

I have also been within a few feet of Robert Englund, but didn't actually meet him, he's kind of weird and reclusive... not the type of guy you want to approach.
I did get to watch him sign an autograph for someone, which was pretty cool, his autograph is a drawing of Freddy Krueger's face, and he draws it wicked fast!

Last edited:
When I was active duty I was the course supervisor for the submarine dive simulator trainer in San Diego and we gave many many tours. I gave a tour on the trainer to Kelsey Grammer, his brother, director and film crew. They were making the movie "Down Periscope" and wanted information about how a submarine acts under water and how we operated and talked. I have a picture in my attic somewhere.

The other guy I worked with gave a tour to the Miss America contestants that year.

One other Petty Officer that worked for me gave a tour to Hulk Hogan.

To me the biggest celebs were the Vets from previous wars that went through being depth charged and lived. I met a bunch of guys the were on the USS Bluegill which was the only submarine to capture a body of land with their deck gun.

Last edited:
I rented my '64 Chevy truck to a movie production crew filming in Griffin back in the late '70's. My wife and I went down for 2 days. She wound up being used as an extra. One of the actors was southern and we got to be freindly with him. He invited us to lunch with him at the trailer they had set up for the actors and crew. He was a Texan, and a little homesick from being around so many California types, I think. He was a really nice guy, and a relative unknown back then, as most of them were. His name was Dennis Quaid. An actress named P.J. Soles was in the movie, and they got married right after production ended, for a short time. Met her, Joe Penny, and the girl who was Kotter's wife on the TV show, all on the same set.
I was a paid extra in a movie about Bear Bryant during filming at the old Fulton County Stadium back around 1980. We kicked field goals in between staging scenes, and explored all over the stadium. Met Gary Busey and talked to him (pre-motocycle wreck). He was a really nice, cool guy. The other "star", John-Erik Hexum, was OK, but "intense". He killed himself later accidently (stupidly) by shooting himself with a pistol loaded with blanks.
I tried to buy a used car from Alan Jackson one time, back when he was a salesman at the Ford place in Newnan. He had his hair parted in the middle, and was wearing a pale blue oxford shirt, khakis, and penny-loafers w/no socks. My wife used to sit in front of him in a class at Newnan high school.

Last edited:
Because of a heart attack followed within a month by three strokes but I have framed pictures from winners circles at several Nascar tracks and I have ten years of framed Nascar Cup crew member lincenses. I used to be good friends with Jack Roush and he would have me down on the roster that he turned into NASCAR as a crew member but I think that all I did was sit on a directers chair. I met and knew Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, Wally Dalenbach, Matt Kenseth. I have probably 2,000 pictures that I took at different tracks, some are of the top drivers in the 90's sitting in their cars with no helmut on and I filled the lense up with just the drivers windows with the drivers centered and their name above the door, i.e. Dale SR., Bill Elliot, Jeff Gordon with a mousy little mustash. Ihave got a three volume set of books autographed by Smokey Yunick, three books signed by the King, Bii Elliot, Allisons etc. My Wife went on a cruise with Jack Roush's Wife and I used to go to the 24 hrs. of Daytona with Jack in 90,91 and 92 and there was so much work that I actually helped set up the pits for three cars. He won I think the GT class ten years in a row and sometimes finishing 1,2,and three.
My shop looks like a miny Nascar, NHRA, Chevy, Corvette museum.

I met Brian McCann at wild wings in suwanee. My buddy said hi to him as he walked by him and then while he was on his way out he stopped by our table and sat and talked for about 5 or 10 mins. He is a super nice guy.

I've met Bob Hope. Blasted drunk on an elevator.
Carol Channing. With and without makeup. BIG difference.
Governor Zell Miller while training his labs. Very cool guy. Seriously!
Jeff Foxworthy while training his dog. Very laid back and easy going.
And I was in the crowd with a retired Israeli General discretely in custody for having an unlicensed concealed handgun as VP Mondale and his secret service contingent walked by. The weapon was in my suit coat pocket at the time. They didn't pick up on anything being wrong and I had the guy in a wrist lock. We were less than 10 feet away. Scary!

met unknown hinson a few times, he signed my wifes tits. she was gonna get it tattoo'ed but we got rained on outside and it washed off.

there will be another oppertunity though......

I met Southside Steve and nasty cat at The Vortex in midtown.

Lead singer of seven dust at garden ridge.

Eddie Murphy was shooting Meet Dave in Central park.

My wife met Paul Walker while he was shooting for the fast five.

I met most of the old school wrestlers back in the mid to late 70's. Dusty Rhodes, Abdulla the Butcher(first time I saw him in public and he actually spoke I nearly fell over) and my personal favorite Andre the Giant. He really was a giant of a man. He shook my arm...gently. Then later I lived in Hapeville and and apartment buiding called The Falcons Nest(or rest...my memory slips a gear soetimes) was the hangout for some of the newer batch. I remember Kevin Sullivan hitting a few baseballs with us one day and two freaks at McDonalds with Mohawks(one of then pink) that I started talking smack about. A friend pointed out that they were The Road Warrior wrestling team. Oh, and Chic Donnovan lives in Lagrange. Met him a few times. Nice guy. Other than that I have met so few celebs that I came close to asking Okuma Steve for his autograph when I traded a gun with him. ;)

Most of my heros are dead any way. John Wayne for instance. I still hope to meet him someday.

Back
Top Bottom