• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever meet anyone famous and have a story to tell ?

Some of the more memorable meets in date order.

Burt Reynolds in the mid-80's at Hardees in Snellville. I was at the counter placing order when he exited a plain white pickup and all the girls forgot about me standing there and went sort of crazy. I realized who it was, said good morning and shook his hand. He was very nice and low key.

Tom Cruise and Paul Newman in a Chinese restaurant in Buford next to my Prudential office with about 300 women (late 80's). I said hello and Paul stood up and shook my hand as I told him I was a huge fan, but did not want to interrupt their meal. I commented that his beer looked good (it was a business lunch for me) and he ordered a Budweiser for me a short time later. I knew Cruise as a rising star but I just could not get over how small the dude was. He was also very cordial. Both guys had been running laps at a race track just north of our office. I told them I worked with 300 ladies next door that would love to meet them both (Prudential Group Claim Office). 30 minutes or so later, the word got out in my office an ALL the ladies stormed the place. Management kept them from coming in and Cruise an Newman slipped out the back. Evidently, they were rescued and made it back to the local race track. My office was beyond not productive for the rest of the day!

In the early 90's I was at a small conference of primarily insurance execs (Liberty Mutual was the sponsor), when the mixer started and I had my first drink I turned and right into Steve Forbes. I knew he was there along with 200 to 250 others, but did not think I would meet him. He was extremely nice and we chatted about the economy, banking and insurance for ten or so minutes. More people joined the conversation and I went over to speak to a very hot blond.
A year or so later, some mag posted a pic of his house down the long tree lined road. Unreal!

In 2000 or 2001, I rented lanes at a bowling alley for my son's birthday. John Smoltz did the same for his kid right next to us. We never talked. I asked the kids not to bug him for autographs etc. He never volunteered and focused on his child so I think he appreciated the privacy.

In May of this year, I chatted about the economy and banking with Donald Ratajczak. He is a very well respected economist and professor. We enjoyed cocktails after an investment conference. He is a great guy and has a unique sense of humor. I always enjoy his take on the economy (as well as noted Economist and professor Roger Tutterow whom I consider a friend).

Numerous rappers and professional sports players. Most have been very pleasant to meet. The rappers used to do some filming in the hood here and were always nice to my boys providing autograph hats, shirts etc. The most infamous night here was a major shoot at one of the new homes we refer to as the "sand castle". Our security force was replaced by armed security all driving in the black Tahoes. Two guys in long dark coats greeted me at the front gate. Let's just say the HOA president went ape sh** when he found out the security force was carrying automatic weapons. They must have not mentioned this when the security switch was discussed with the HOA. I loved it! My boys were at the house early until Momma got wind of the firepower and I had to go bring them home. Me and an unnamed child later went back to watch via the golf course at the back of the property. They filmed a great video by the pool.

Great walk down memory lane!

I have met Jake Delhomme on several occasions.
First time I met him was summer of 2005 shortly after he led the Carolina Panthers to a Superbowl win. I worked Beach service in Fl where his family has owned a condo for years. It was pretty cool to toss the pig skin on the beach with a Superbowl winning Qb. His whole family was extremely nice and it was a pleasure to see them for the whole week. I also met them the following season while I was still working there.
i49.tinypic.com_2n99gy8.jpg

They lost the Superbowl.

Does Linda Stouffer on WSBTV news count as famous? She is my customer....

And yes, her real name isn't Linda Stouffer, its just her TV reporting name..

I've met a lot, too many to list. No one can beat me at the game "6 degrees to Kevin Bacon" cause I've met him. I will add that most all of them are really nice and down to Earth.

I've bumped into a bunch of famous people living and working in Las Vegas but for the most part none of those stories were very memorable other than finding out that Kanye West really is a first class douche and it isn't just an act ;) ... I do have one really interesting story from a trip to CA though. I spent about 8 months on and off going back and forth to LA a couple of times a week and while I was stuck there I spent alot of time at the beach. Basically if I wasn't working or listening to a cool band at one of the clubs off sunset I was at A beach. Manhattan beach became one of my favorites because I could have my feet in the water or on a board until just about the cutoff to catch my flight because it's only about 15 minutes from LAX. One day I was at that particular beach and I decided to get out of there a little early so I gathered up my stuff and headed up to the rental car and I noticed right beside my car was a black jetta with the license place # "chunk85" and I'm like ... Goonies, right on! So the guy walks up to the car behind me and I say "So are you a goonies fan?" and he was like "well kind of" so I asked what he meant and he said "Well I WAS Chunk in the goonies" (his name is Jeff Cohen) At first I thought he was pulling my leg (He's a pretty tall skinny guy now) so he showed me his drivers license. We BS'd for a while and hung out until I had to head to the airport and he gave me an autograph on the back of my parking pass to show my kids.

I met Sonny Perdue at Fry's in Gwinnett, I was walking around looking at Tablets a while back and saw him standing next to me started talking to Gov. Perdue. He was looking for a tablet for his airplane, and we exchanged comments about flying aircraft and tablets. He was extremely nice and very humble.

Back
Top Bottom