• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric smokers?

image.jpg
I like brisket too!!!

Too much smoke makes it bitter and gums up your smoker. If you can get some thin blue smoke that lasts about the first hour that is about perfect. More smoke or longer is a waste and can ruin the outside of the meat.

I have an electric smoker as well, my only complaint is that there was not enough smoke. When smoking at 220-225 the chips do not get hot enough to put off a good smoke, so what I do is hit chips with a torch every now and then to get them going.

That is a bit of a problem in the heat of summer. It is better during football season when the temps drop. I don't soak the chips in water as long as they recommend either. For $100, that is a great deal, and you will get the hang of it. Like sometimes you have to open the door (against conventional wisdom) to drop the temp, so the heating element kicks on and gets the chips smoking. Also, don't fill the chip pan full, or it takes to long to get smoking.

"Dadgum That's Good, Too!" (or the original book by the same name) by John McLemore is a great reference.

The insulated walls really hold the heat (no upside-down cardboard box on top needed!) and you will find that it is easy to crank it up to 350F and use it like a conventional oven (smoke optional). A real bonus when cooking for the whole family on Thanksgiving, etc.

I also place a slightly undersized aluminum pan (Dollar store item) one level below the meat to catch all the juices. Makes clean-up 100% easier!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom