Electric smokers?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
Opinions?
I've never used a smoker because
1) I was sure I'd never have the patience to tend one and
2) No way I'd ever drop the money on the vaunted egg style smokers.
But I do love me some brisket! Soooo... I've had the itch.
Bass Pro has their 30" Masterbuilt on sale for only $100. It's this one. http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Sportsman-Elite-30-Electric-Smoker/product/10204454/ (I know it doesn't show the $99 price).

Opinions? Brisket, butts, whole birds... is about what it would be used for.
Thx

I love my smoker,wood fired keep an eye on it all day while enjoying a beer or three. That said I recently purchased the Master built and while it is not the same as my big smoker, it does a great job. I like that I can set the temp and time then walk away. For good smoke you will need to feed it some chips every 30 mins or so. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it just right but all in all I love it.

I have heard that the electric smokers have problems with the controls. I'm sure it is weather related and one could avoid electronics failures by keeping it in the garage when not in use.

I have a propane smoker and it works great. There are no digital doodads to go bad but you do have to keep a closer eye on the temperature.

And that's what I'm after.

Me too which is why I bought it. Just remember to keep the wood chips fed, for my taste about 30 mins between chip feeding for great ribs. I use a mix of pecan and apple wood. Might do a nice brisket this week end,hickory for the brisket and 14 hours. That is alot of beer:rolleyes:

Me too which is why I bought it. Just remember to keep the wood chips fed, for my taste about 30 mins between chip feeding for great ribs. I use a mix of pecan and apple wood. Might do a nice brisket this week end,hickory for the brisket and 14 hours. That is alot of beer:rolleyes:
So you never smoke something overnight? If so what about the wood chips. Every 30 minutes sounds like a pain. My weekends tend to have a LOT of competing interests for time. :mmph:

My research resource www.smokingmeatforums.com lots of reviews for all smoker types. I have gas version of the master built 30. Can be tough to get temp right and hold. Temp Guage on door is junk, which is the case for most. Maverick makes a good temp gauge for meat and smoker Temps. If I go electric it will be a Traeger for $500

Just remember after the first two hours any wood ytou add is not going to so much to add smoke flavor. Sorry I didn't mention that. No I have not done an overnight yet. I might do just that this weekend to see how it comes out.
On a side note, try smoking one of those pre brined corned beef brisket some time. They are awesome on the old smoker.

Back
Top Bottom