• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric smokers?

OK, so here's the initial verdict after round one with the electric smoker... first off.... I got VERY little smoke (apples chips). That was a disappointment. :mmph:
HOWEVER... I was absolutely shocked how fast this thing cooked. It less than 4 hours it was above 180. I still wrapped it at that point and let it cook another hour.
Then took it out.
i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_IMG_0796_zps3600438b.jpg

Needless to say I was worried about it being too dry. :eek:
Let it rest for an hour....
i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_IMG_0798_zps2a7be903.jpg

I can not get over how juicey it was! No there was no smoke ring but the flavor was still there and it really was excellent. For the rub I just improvised with simply some Tony Chachere's and light brown sugar. If it turns into nothing more than a glorified outdoor oven that will still be worth it. Not sure what I'll try next but with college football season starting..... it's on! :cool: And oh yeah... pulled pork sammich for lunch in an hour or so. ;)

Next time try adding more chips or more often. I found with mine that every 30 mins produced good results and I keep the draft wide open too.
I use a combo of apple and pecan for most pork. Ribs always come out awesome.
Nice Butt, Geaux. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No vent? Wow mine has a vent at the top left side of the cabinet. Perhaps try fewer chips in the tray, like a tablespoon each time?
You're welcome. :eyebrows:
There's a vent, simply a round hole on the back towards the top but it's not adjustable. Simply a nickel sized hole. Instructions said to fill the tray (about a cup). :confused:
I just remembered something, the fat covered the drain hole (and plugged it solid) so perhaps the lack of air caused the chips to not burn well.... hmmmm.... I may be onto something.....

Nope, not hot enough when cooking low and slow. Do yourself a favor and get a propane torch set the ships a blaze and you are off to the races.

Back
Top Bottom