• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dog seizures

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best boy died in my arms last month from a seizure and it was probably the hardest thing I’ve experienced in my life. We too realized it was his heart worm/fleas preventive that did him in. He had a certain gene that caused a reaction, of course it took too long to figure all this out. Hope you find some answers soon.

Grace developed occasional head tremors when she was four. The next year she had two full blown seizures. They're not pretty to watch and they can damage their neurological system. During and immediately after the seizure they are not themselves. They're scared. You can't cuddle them or hug them. You can talk to them and encourage them as they recover afterwards. They will unknowingly bite and scratch you.

She's been on phenobarbital twice a day for the last three years and fine ever since. She'll be eight in two months. I'd rather her live 10 seizure free years than 12 years with seizures. They're too painful to watch. Just love them. Just do what's right for you and your dog.

Grace's head tremors.

Grace's seizure.

They don't know what they're doing. This was a scratch from her AFTER the seizure. It takes 10 to 15 minutes for them to recover afterwards; sometimes longer.
20220713_123617.jpg

Twenty minutes after a seizure.
20220713_124517.jpg

My Avatar had seizures when he was alive, doctors could not find anything wrong with him, He lived until 16 1/2 yrs.
Those are the sweetest dogs ever.My Mom has had three. None had seizures but they all had the skin issues of chewing their asses . But yeah I love those dogs.

Grace developed occasional head tremors when she was four. The next year she had two full blown seizures. They're not pretty to watch and they can damage their neurological system. During and immediately after the seizure they are not themselves. They're scared. You can't cuddle them or hug them. You can talk to them and encourage them as they recover afterwards. They will unknowingly bite and scratch you.

She's been on phenobarbital twice a day for the last three years and fine ever since. She'll be eight in two months. I'd rather her live 10 seizure free years than 12 years with seizures. They're too painful to watch. Just love them. Just do what's right for you and your dog.

Grace's head tremors.

Grace's seizure.

They don't know what they're doing. This was a scratch from her AFTER the seizure. It takes 10 to 15 minutes for them to recover afterwards; sometimes longer.
View attachment 6793098

Twenty minutes after a seizure.
View attachment 6793106
Dude I know exactly what you mean..I will ask my wife about supplements to help out. But I assume you already did all that. It's a painful thing to watch knowing you can't do **** about it.

Dude I know exactly what you mean..I will ask my wife about supplements to help out. But I assume you already did all that. It's a painful thing to watch knowing you can't do **** about it.
Yep. We talked at length with the vet. They can die from a seizure. Preventative medicine can possibly shorten their lives. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. We've had four other Goldens. Two males lived to 12 years. The females made it to 10. Golden Retrievers have short lifespans. I accept that. It's a painful reality. It reminds me of an excerpt from one of Dean Koontz's books.

“Dogs’ lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you’re going to lose a dog, and there’s going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can’t support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There’s such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.”

Dean Koontz in 'The Darkest Evening of the Year'.

My dearly departed Boy Scout, Feb 2008 - April 2020.
3xaowy.jpg

I have one that has seizures, we have narrowed it down to the medication they are giving her for heart worm, fleas, and the vaccines she receives, so unfortunately we had to give up the medications. Since then not one seizure.

I think that’s what caused his seizures. I honestly don’t know what to do with him, my vet said not to leave him alone, yet I have to work. I’ve been looking for a place or someone that could be with him as much as I’d miss him I just worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely you have done your best; trust yourself you have.

We have always crated our dogs when we leave home with llittle exception. They get crated in the car, or rv when we leave them.

If not crate trained early in their lives, sometimes they freak out if tried suddenly. On the other hand, sometimes they take to it well, especially if it is oversized, comfy with a petbed. Lots of folks I know use a 3'x3' with a top.

Honestly, I would pursue crating when not supervised, for his wellbeing and your peace of mind.

Surely you have done your best; trust yourself you have.

We have always crated our dogs when we leave home with llittle exception. They get crated in the car, or rv when we leave them.

If not crate trained early in their lives, sometimes they freak out if tried suddenly. On the other hand, sometimes they take to it well, especially if it is oversized, comfy with a petbed. Lots of folks I know use a 3'x3' with a top.

Honestly, I would pursue crating when not supervised, for his wellbeing and your peace of mind.

He’s crate trained but that worries me more that he’s going to get his leg caught in the crate wires so I’ve been leaving him out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom