Dog attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf six

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
107   0
Reaction score
The other day i made a very bad choice and ended up totaling my car. The next day i had work, i decided to man up and go even though i hurt from the wreck. Its about a 30 min walk to work through a low income neighborhood.
As i was walking down the sidewalk a dog ran from underneath a truck and rushed me. I stepped back and pulled out the only weapon i had (a pocket knife
) i yelled at the dog and told him to back off. I didnt run but backed away from the house into the street and the dog followed me to the edge of the property. Same thing happened the next day and i called animal control; to no effect...
Today i felt well enough to ride my bike to work and as i passed the house the **** dog rushes me on my bike and i reflexively kick him in the face and
dump my bike in the street. I had a fighting knife this time, and the dog didnt come after me in the street, but followed me as i rode off.

My question is, what would happen if i were be riding/walking up the street again and the dog attacks me then i kill it to protect myself?
(without a gun) Also what would be the best method to handle this.

ps throwing food didn't work the first time

As Troy Landry says ............. Chooooot em!

Seriously be careful with pepper spray it will blow back in ur face. The ammonia would be good.

id pick a different route

if you know that this dog is on the way as an obstacle why go by it? granted, you shouldnt have to and animal control should deal with it and or its owners should, but had it been me i probably would have shot it......and continued my day.

but since you know its there pick a different way to go, a whole lot better than getting bit

id pick a different route

if you know that this dog is on the way as an obstacle why go by it? granted, you shouldnt have to and animal control should deal with it and or its owners should, but had it been me i probably would have shot it......and continued my day.

but since you know its there pick a different way to go, a whole lot better than getting bit

Damn good answer to me! If you are without another route, then do what you have to do to defend yourself. Even lethally. A call to animal control sounds warranted to me.

If it hasn't really attacked you by now it most likely won't. I have several dogs in my neighborhood that run after you or at least out to you when I go on my walks with my wife. I always meet them head on, stop and let them come to me. Most times running out and barking is just attempting to show you they are boss. But they are usually more concerned about you than you are them. Take some meat, beggin strips, something. Stop when it comes out and let it come to you. Put a small treat on the ground between you or if it won't come for it, toss it, gently out past your reach. Many dogs will not come within reach out of fear. It may take days but this can get the dog comfortable with you. I have made friends of 5 of the dogs in my area, the 6th is afraid to let me touch him even though he takes the food I offer and 2 little yappers just aren't satisfied unless they are yapping. The only one that really concerned me was this walking MUSCLE of a bulldog that came running out a couple of weeks ago. But he was not displaying any other sign of aggression and once he got close he was quite friendly.

Very few dogs are truly mean in my experience. Those, unless they are big or just crazy(knew ONE dog that was "insane") can be hurt or killed as long as you face them. A dog has only one weapon...it's mouth. A dog's throat is mostly useless as a target for your hands but his forelegs are great targets. Dogs legs do not flex sideways very well. Grabbing a foreleg in each hand and playing wishbone with them should discourage a dog real fast. Even though dogs have strong biting jaws the roof of a dogs mouth is very sensitive and if you drive your thumbnail into the palate it prevents a dog from biting down hard. One dog, other than a pit, or maybe rotweiler or similar is not as much of a threat as it seems. With a knife you should be certainly more than a match for most dogs.

Throw some Bacon at him, and let us know how it works,lol
No really he will stop dead in his tracks when that ammonia hits his nose.
Good luck and be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom