• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does your handgun have a round in the chamber?

I'm in the minority as my answer is no. I don't carry and I keep loaded magazines in just a couple of my guns in the safe. I've always felt I could chamber in a split second if need be. I have small kids and while I would never leave a loaded gun near them, heaven forbid I did there wouldn't be one in the pipe. To me it's a safety thing I guess.

This is a subject that comes up in every class. I agree that when it comes to a choice between childrens safety & "tactical preparedness" that WHEN ONE DOESN'T CARRY it's best to defer to whatever is the safest choice is to protect the kids.
Obviously one of the best options is to just keep it on you. If that is not an option that one will do then I like the idea of a biometric safe as an option. Some people like locking holsters but most of them could be overcome by a curious child so I'm hesitant to recommend them,

The problem that some are alluding to is that in most cases when under violent attack the victim is "behind the power curve" because they are reacting to anothers actions... usually in very close quarters and at high speed.
In live drills with high powered airsoft guns WHEN ATTACKED at close quarters pretty much everyone either forgets to rack the slide, doesn't have two hands free to do it, doesn't have the time to do it, or any combination of the above including all three.
We've had very accomplished shooters DROP THE WHOLE GUN in some of these very stressful scenarios. They are an excellent test bed for practicing fundamentals under stress. (Takes that macho, "I'd do this" or "I'd do that" spoken from the couch or keyboard & puts it to the test.)

It sounds great in theory & IF a victim has time, presence of mind, & distance then maybe they can find the mag.... insert the mag..... & fully rack that slide back with both hands. In a vicious attack by multiple armed assailants in the dark within "bad-breath" distance... it is not so likely to happen.
But again when childrens safety is an issue it is tough to find a workable compromise which is why I like the biometric safes.

Last edited:
This is a subject that comes up in every class. I agree that when it comes to a choice between childrens safety & "tactical preparedness" that WHEN ONE DOESN'T CARRY it's best to defer to whatever is the safest choice is to protect the kids.
Obviously one of the best options is to just keep it on you. If that is not an option that one will do then I like the idea of a biometric safe as an option. Some people like locking holsters but most of them could be overcome by a curious child so I'm hesitant to recommend them,

The problem that some are alluding to is that in most cases when under violent attack the victim is "behind the power curve" because they are reacting to anothers actions... usually in very close quarters and at high speed.
In live drills with high powered airsoft guns WHEN ATTACKED at close quarters pretty much everyone either forgets to rack the slide, doesn't have two hands free to do it, doesn't have the time to do it, or any combination of the above including all three.
We've had very accomplished shooters DROP THE WHOLE GUN in some of these very stressful scenarios. They are an excellent test bed for practicing fundamentals under stress. (Takes that macho, "I'd do this" or "I'd do that" spoken from the couch or keyboard & puts it to the test.)

It sounds great in theory & IF a victim has time, presence of mind, & distance then maybe they can find the mag.... insert the mag..... & fully rack that slide back with both hands. In a vicious attack by multiple armed assailants in the dark within "bad-breath" distance... it is not so likely to happen.
But again when childrens safety is an issue it is tough to find a workable compromise which is why I like the biometric safes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I lean over to cylinder shooters. You can see it, feel it, and you know when you cock it. Even a DASA can be a "click" and that might be all the time the other animal needs.

In the dark? And why would you cock it? I've never heard of cocking a revolver in a self-defense situation. Everyone I know teaches to shoot doubleaction if the gun is a revolver. (BTW, not trying to be argumentative... just don't understand).

Now that the kids are older & safer I just keep mine condition one inside a holster so that all that has to happen is for them to be pulled free.
Inside the vehicle it's good to either mount or tie the holster to something so that removing it is a one-handed operation.

In the dark? And why would you cock it? I've never heard of cocking a revolver in a self-defense situation. Everyone I know teaches to shoot doubleaction if the gun is a revolver. (BTW, not trying to be argumentative... just don't understand).

Now that the kids are older & safer I just keep mine condition one inside a holster so that all that has to happen is for them to be pulled free.
Inside the vehicle it's good to either mount or tie the holster to something so that removing it is a one-handed operation.

I'm quick with a cock, but, that's just me. I can draw, cock and fire faster than most people think. All according to one's ability. Texas was a fine place to grow up.

I'm quick with a cock, but, that's just me. I can draw, cock and fire faster than most people think. All according to one's ability. Texas was a fine place to grow up.

Even though most Instructors ( Mas Ayoob) would caution against it due to how light the single action pull is I "get it" now.
A double action gun though, right?

I used to cock my Sig 226 when I drew it cause I hated that long DA trigger.

I carry single action NAAs most of the time. They fit in my bra, and I ain't got time for waist carry. All others are bra carried as well. P238 is cocked and locked in a bra holster, S&W 642 (revolver) is bra holster carry. If I feel like a .45, it goes in a belly band. It's great to have boobs. I can hide enough bug out food for a week in mine. ;)

I carry single action NAAs most of the time. They fit in my bra, and I ain't got time for waist carry. All others are bra carried as well. P238 is cocked and locked in a bra holster, S&W 642 (revolver) is bra holster carry. If I feel like a .45, it goes in a belly band. It's great to have boobs. I can hide enough bug out food for a week in mine. ;)

Ok now you're just freaking me out....

Back
Top Bottom