• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do you have a faraday cage/box/bag etc.?

Do you have a faraday enclosure?

• Yes - commercial

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Yes - DIY

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters
Real question : does an EMP take out old CB radios?
What about anything listed as “solid state” ? Like old radios and t.v.s. ?

I have a metal cabinet from an indoor sound system on the wall in the basement with 2 ground rods driven in the basement floor .I've lined it with rubber mat on the inside to isolate the electronics in there. I keep a set of walkie talkies and a couple of CB radios in it. Never tested it but my hope is the metal and the grounding divert any EMP voltages to ground before it gets to the radios.

EMP would kill me instantly if it was strong enough to take out electronic devices. Most EMP discussions are science fiction bull****. I don't worry about it. Real or fake, makes no difference to me.

EMP will fry anything with electronics. Chips are more susceptible but old tube stuff will still probably cook.

An easy Faraday cage is a steel garbage can sealed with metallic tape. It won't work if you are too close, but it will mitigate the charge at a reasonable distance.

Faraday cages work because electric charge flows over the outside of a conductor. Ben Franklin was the first to notice this in his experiments, but Faraday was the first to come up with a reasonable explanation and the math to go with it.

If the charge is high enough, it'll still leak through, or even 'burn though', but in most cases a sealed can will deflect enough to let the electronics inside make it through.

Back
Top Bottom