• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do I need to check headspace?

Ignorance sure, that's why I have been researching, stupidity... Maybe. That is why I posted the question in the first place. I just decided to give it a shot. It fires fine. I can still check it once I get my hands on some gauges. And don't worry I have thick skin. Being an Auburn fan, this year, I have to be. Lol

not a football guy but I know what your referring to haha.

as an aside.....theres been a few folks who fire rifles where the headspace was not checked and it "fired fine"..........for a while. Id rather hear that youve had a flawlessly running rifle for over 1k rnds :thumb:

Before checking headspace, you need to verify that you have an in spec 5.56 chamber. If you don't, you may not get a good reading on the gauges depending on whether you are using .223 or 5.56 gauges.

Get a heavier buffer. Looks like casing is hitting shell deflector. Need to slow down lock time . Also check and see where the brass is landing. Most of my builds fall in the 3 to 5 oclock range. If your not reloading shoot the heck out of it. Sometimes I cycle the bolt a hundred times or so to mate parts together with a new barrel and bolt carrier and don't interchange carriers with other barrels.

Recently assembled an ar15 rifle. All of my research is divided on whether it is necessary to heck it with new components with the majority saying its not necessary. Looking for the odt's opinion.

Dpms upper
Ar stoner barrel
Daniel defense chrome bcg (bought as one complete component)

I torqued the barrel nut to 31 ft/lbs minimum, and then advanced to align the gas tube slot.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I only ask because I forgot to purchase a set of gauges, and it's a bit of a drive to find someone with them, or a gunsmith.

Nahhh, what could go wrong?????

Franken guns. Go figure. Guess we will see it on the ODT for 1750.00 in a week.

Not a chance. This was my first go at building one, and learning the ins and outs of the ar-15. Sentimental value and all.

And I got my travel pay yesterday, so now I can order the gauges. And who makes a heavier buffer? I have a rifle spring and buffer now?

Back
Top Bottom