• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do I need to check headspace?

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
Recently assembled an ar15 rifle. All of my research is divided on whether it is necessary to heck it with new components with the majority saying its not necessary. Looking for the odt's opinion.

Dpms upper
Ar stoner barrel
Daniel defense chrome bcg (bought as one complete component)

I torqued the barrel nut to 31 ft/lbs minimum, and then advanced to align the gas tube slot.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I only ask because I forgot to purchase a set of gauges, and it's a bit of a drive to find someone with them, or a gunsmith.

YES!!! but to be honest, you should be fine without them. I was trained as an armorer in the Marines. There is alot of bad things that could happen if the headspace is not correct. And if you are running a chrome lined barrel it would be much easier to damage. The headspace gauge are about $35 to buy. Not sure what a gunsmith would charge. I myself have had the gauges on my list of things to buy. But normally once that rifle pass with the same bolt, bcg, and barrel and stay the same, there is no need to check it again. Hope this help. Any other questions just ask.

Ok range update. The rifle shot fine. Everything cycled correctly. BUT
I'm getting this same mark on every casing. Any ideas?

i45.tinypic.com_erel43.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture, is the mark dented pushing out or in? If it is pushing out DONT FIRE IT!!! your headspace is not correct more then likly and you could be pulling brass out of your skin, or haveing to deal with a round stuck in the chamber.

Ok. The dent is Inward. Now those cases are black hills remanufactured rounds 69gr MKHP.
And it looks like all of their rounds already have that indent. But when I shoot them it gets a little bigger.

I switched to a hornady superformance BTHP 75gr and no indentation, just a very slight mark.

I do have a standard rifle spring and buffer. Do they make heavier?

If its pushing in, as it looks to be. the round is more then likely hitting the chamber/barrel teeth. First do your upper and lower match the same company? Second try tightening your mag catch. I have mine set as tight as it will go and then back it off 2 to 5 turns. The mag should free fall out with just the press of the mag catch button. If you still having problem just pm me and I will try and help over the phone.

Classic dents from the brass deflector. To verify, take and put several layers of electrical tape, foam tape or otherwise pad your brass deflector. Shoot it again and see if the tape gets hit and if the dent on the brass goes away. If it does then you're fine to shoot is as-is. I think a heavier buffer to slow down ejection and help but it might be a lighter buffer? I can't remember.

You can also try to remove the black o-ring from the extractor spring. The o-ring gives the extractor a little extra grip on brass but isn't always needed unless you're running an SBR. This could be causing the brass to eject harder and flip back further especailly if you're undergassed or shooting lower power ammo.

Last edited:
why would you NOT check headspace?

stupidity and ignorance in my opinion....no offense. Have you seen what happens from headspace out of spec? you dont love your face and hands do you? :D

please check it

why would you NOT check headspace?

stupidity and ignorance in my opinion....no offense. Have you seen what happens from headspace out of spec? you dont love your face and hands do you? :D

please check it

Ignorance sure, that's why I have been researching, stupidity... Maybe. That is why I posted the question in the first place. I just decided to give it a shot. It fires fine. I can still check it once I get my hands on some gauges. And don't worry I have thick skin. Being an Auburn fan, this year, I have to be. Lol

Back
Top Bottom