• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dirt Bike / Enduro / Trail Bike idea

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Is there any reason why, with today's technology regarding traction control systems on vehicles and electric drive systems for cars, motorcycles, and e-bikes (bicycles),
that a small motorcycle made for off-road use (perhaps combined with short-range street use, to ride around town or to go to and from the local network of dirt roads and trails where you'll get your fun) COULDN'T BE EQUIPPED WITH AN ELECTRIC MOTOR TO DRIVE THE FRONT WHEEL, even while the rear wheel is powered the conventional way with a chain or belt connecting it to a gasoline engine?

I'm thinking the electric drive on the front wheel could be invaluable for preventing a wreck on slippery surfaces or when climbing an incline on unpaved trails.
It would help just going slowly though a mud puddle that we find so often on off-road trail systems.

On slippery or soft surfaces, I don't think it's critical that the rotation speed (RPM's) of the front tire exactly match the RPMs for the rear tire. Just the fact that both are turning, and that the front is turning while having been pointed in the direction the rider needs to go, would be a huge benefit.

What says you-all?

See this video for an example of a front-wheel-drive e-bike. But for a motorcycle, even a small one, I think the battery pack would need to go on the bike's frame, not mounted to the hub on the wheel itself.

Christini has made 2 wheel drive kits/retroed bikes for years. Positive reviews but never got super popular

Attachments

• 2016-Web-450-DS.jpg
    2016-Web-450-DS.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom