• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer Jerky

1117201600.jpg

I used to make jerky from ground venison, just buy the spice and cure packets, mix in and load into a ground jerky gun, and shoot out the strips or sticks. Way better than sliced in my opinion, lots easier to chew!
NESCO makes a great kit with everything included, you can order them online. They used to be sold in Walmart as well, but not sure if they still do.

I used to make jerky from ground venison, just buy the spice and cure packets, mix in and load into a ground jerky gun, and shoot out the strips or sticks. Way better than sliced in my opinion, lots easier to chew!
Haven’t tried that yet but I hear ya in regards to chewing. Probably save some money on toothpicks too.... I usually put the meat in the freezer to harden a little, makes it much easier to cut slices.

Haven’t tried that yet but I hear ya in regards to chewing. Probably save some money on toothpicks too.... I usually put the meat in the freezer to harden a little, makes it much easier to cut slices.
If you try it you'll probably be a believer, makes great jerky!

NESCO makes a great kit with everything included, you can order them online. They used to be sold in Walmart as well, but not sure if they still do.
I agree it’s easier to chew, but there is something great about chewing whole meat jerky!

New recipe.... if it turns out good I’ll drop it this evening!
View attachment 2941398
So, It wasn’t as flavorful as I expected but it was a solid recipe. Im going to tweak it a bit for the next batch.

I eyeball everything, so no real idea on amounts. I added everything to food processor to blend then marinated meat for 48 hours.
  • Soy sauce
  • Brown sugar
  • Chopped onion
  • Smoked Paprika
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 1 can of chipotles in adobo
  • Chipotle hot sauce
  • Lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon curing salt
  • salt
  • Black Pepper

Slice Venison accross the grain roughly 3/8" thick on the ole meat slicer (I got 50-60 year old globe slicer off craigslist a few years ago. Thing weighs like 100 lbs.)
Fill 1 gallon freezer bags with Jerky and pineapple juice. The Pineapple juice seems to draw the blood out and the jerky accepts the marinade a bit better.
Soak in pineapple 24 hours.
Drain off pineapple juice

Marinade
1 Part Soy
1 Part Worstishire
maybe some teriaki
maybe dales
maybe some hot sauce
garlic powder
pinch of curing salt

Let marinade 24 hours
Put on rack and add whatever dry rub seasoning you like before dehydrating, (steak seasoning, BBQ, Garlic Pepper, etc) Used old bay once and wasn't too bad really.
I have a 9 rack excalibur deydrator that is really handy
Add a splash of tobasco to the top if extra kick is desired

Back
Top Bottom