• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deep Dig into Primer Shortage

deathbeforehonor

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
45   0
Reaction score
So Gavin over at ultimate reloader posted this 8/22/20
https://ultimatereloader.com/2020/08/22/where-have-all-the-primers-gone-2020-edition/

Some blow job in the comments mentioned this..

"The retail store employee says they got some feedback from their distributors. Along the lines of, the US gov. placed an order for 4 billion rounds of ammunition, probably earlier in September.

I say that because it went from partial shortage to complete shortage.

Feedback from the primer distributors – the 4 US manufacturers of primers have a daily capacity of 4.6 million. So it will take about 90 days to fill the one big US gov. order.

IF THAT IS TRUE, the shortage will ease up sometime in December."

So I went through the DOD's contract lists for the whole damn year and haven't found anything other than this..

"General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems Inc., St. Petersburg, Florida, was awarded a $30,188,828 modification (P00028) to contract W52P1J-17-C-0024 for production of ammunition cartridges. Work will be performed in St. Petersburg, Florida, with an estimated completion date of March 31, 2022. Fiscal 2018 and 2020 procurement of ammunition, Army funds in the amount of $30,188,828 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois, is the contracting activity."
https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/2129070/

When looking as to what the "modification (P00028)" was/is I couldn't find exactly what it is.. other than the fact that it has been applied to a lot of small arms contracts. Such as this

"Heckler & Koch Defense Inc.,* Ashburn, Virginia, was awarded a $33,500,000 modification (P00028) to contract W15QKN-16-D-0051 for the Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper Systems and the Squad Designated Marksman Rifle. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of March 16, 2022. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity."

So all in all I'm thinking depending on the political & civil climate of America this spring, we might see primers start to hit shelves again by the end of April/May... With a 2 year long small arms ammunition procurement being completed. But then again who knows, maybe there really is another order of 4 Billion Rounds to be sent to Taiwan for WWIII! Alex Jones`en for some Primers haha :)

When the toilet paper extreme shortage occurred there was no govt contract.
It is just people being people. People began hoarding ammo, other people could not find ammo on the shelves and started interest in reloading. The people who reloaded in the past began buying more primers than normal. The shortage will not end until people are comfortable that a shortage does not exist and there is no hoarding.

The shortage is from the millions and millions of new gun owners.

A million a month, think about that many folks trying to buy just 2 boxes of ammo. All the internet suppliers would be sold out in less than a day

So Gavin over at ultimate reloader posted this 8/22/20
https://ultimatereloader.com/2020/08/22/where-have-all-the-primers-gone-2020-edition/

Some blow job in the comments mentioned this..

"The retail store employee says they got some feedback from their distributors. Along the lines of, the US gov. placed an order for 4 billion rounds of ammunition, probably earlier in September.

I say that because it went from partial shortage to complete shortage.

Feedback from the primer distributors – the 4 US manufacturers of primers have a daily capacity of 4.6 million. So it will take about 90 days to fill the one big US gov. order.

IF THAT IS TRUE, the shortage will ease up sometime in December."

So I went through the DOD's contract lists for the whole damn year and haven't found anything other than this..

"General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems Inc., St. Petersburg, Florida, was awarded a $30,188,828 modification (P00028) to contract W52P1J-17-C-0024 for production of ammunition cartridges. Work will be performed in St. Petersburg, Florida, with an estimated completion date of March 31, 2022. Fiscal 2018 and 2020 procurement of ammunition, Army funds in the amount of $30,188,828 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois, is the contracting activity."
https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/2129070/

When looking as to what the "modification (P00028)" was/is I couldn't find exactly what it is.. other than the fact that it has been applied to a lot of small arms contracts. Such as this

"Heckler & Koch Defense Inc.,* Ashburn, Virginia, was awarded a $33,500,000 modification (P00028) to contract W15QKN-16-D-0051 for the Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper Systems and the Squad Designated Marksman Rifle. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of March 16, 2022. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity."

So all in all I'm thinking depending on the political & civil climate of America this spring, we might see primers start to hit shelves again by the end of April/May... With a 2 year long small arms ammunition procurement being completed. But then again who knows, maybe there really is another order of 4 Billion Rounds to be sent to Taiwan for WWIII! Alex Jones`en for some Primers haha :)

Uh.... 4,000,000,000 divided by 4,600,000 per day isn't 90 days. It's 869 days-- call it three years. Summer of 2023.

But I don't believe the scuttlebutt about the order. I do believe we're looking at total shortage of ammo and components until 2 years into the next Republican presidency. And I believe at $300/brick, I become a seller.

Remington bankruptcy, no more Tula and Wolf imports, millions of new gun owners all added to the shortage.
I was wondering why weren't seeing any of the imported primers like wolf. Didnt someone buy the ammunition business side from Remington.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom