• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cross bows

I use a Horton 175.It`s consistent with the red dot scope that came on it.I put a cheap rifle scope on it and it wasn`t consistent,so back to the red dot.It cost about $300 new a few years ago.I`ve learned that crossbows will work scope mounts loose unless you use lok-tite.Fingernail polish and super glue no longer bonds like it used to,either.Just like a deer rifle,they will shake crosshairs outa whack also,on a cheap scope.My brother bought a new Excalibur that came with a scope that would not sight in.Crosshairs would move every shot.

Good question because I was wondering the same thing. It seems that more people are utilizing cross bows these days then in previous years. Any pro & cons compared to a standard bow?

Good quality crossbows are very accurate and reliable. The brands that I would consider are as follows and in this order: Excalibur ( the best in my opinion), Ten Point, and Horton. As with anything in life, you can spend as little or as much as you want on one of these.

I have shot 3 different Horton crossbows over a 15 year period. They all shot great and I have passed them on to close friends or family members. They were all in the $350 to $500 range with and without optics. A decent red dot optic can cost between $50 and $100 for a crossbow. You can spend more and you can spend less. There are $300 Barnett packages at Walmart and you can spend over $1000 on others. It all depends on your budget. The Horton Crossbows are very nice shooters in my opinion.

One of my first experiences with a crossbow was when I bought my dad a Horton Hunter 150lb quite a few years ago when he became disabled. The state he lived in would (at that time) only allow crossbow hunting for disabled persons with a doctors note. He still has that Horton after 15 years and still hunts with it every year. I killed a deer with that same crossbow 3 or 4 years ago. It shot all the way through the deer and the bolt was laying in the sand nearby. The deer ran a little over 20 yards and bled out leaving an easy blood trail to follow in heavy brush. My dad was videoing the hunt from a nearby tree stand.

I recently got a Horton 175 from another trader on this site. I added a spring under the scope rail (because it didn't have one) and it consistently shoots 1/2" groups at 25 yards. A guy I work with has it now and will be using it this coming deer season.

I've been shooting a Barnett revolution for the bast 2 years and it's been real good. I bought it used from a guy that was using the wrong grain bolts so when I shot it twice the limbs on the right side busted but barnetts customer service was awesome. Barnett fixed it along with tuning up some other parts. I only had to pay 50 to ship it and the fee. Now that I have the correct grain bolts it shoots great and impacts with punishment. I have shot it out to 60 yrds and hit dead center with correct elevation adjustment. So my experience with Barnett has been great all around.

I have an excalibur, and can't aim a he same spot at 30 yards. They say they are the most accurate crossbows made, and they are. If I were in the market for another one I would definetely buy another excalibur.

Shot a horton vision at a shotgun sports over in Oxford AL a couple of days ago. Man that thing was awesome, very compact, no vibration and super quite. Only downside was the cocking contraption. If I decide to get another crossbow that will be it and their price was 100 better than any other place I've seen it.

Back
Top Bottom