• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A crossbow for my enjoyment

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I am thinking I would like to add a crossbow to my collection of defense and hunting apparati. So I am seeking some info on what would be a decent make and model to have laying around. I have a big yard and shooting would be a good way to occupy some time and get some trigger time in when I am not shooting my firearms. I have had many bows before but never a crossbow so I am completely out of the loop these days on both. It's been years since I have delved into the archery scene so I need some guidance. I don't want the absolute best crossbow made but I don't want a inferior piece of crap either. I need so solid recommendations on what crossbow or compound bow to play with out in the yard and possibly hunt with next year. I am thinking around the 500 dollar mark for maybe a good pre-owned set up or maybe a little more for a new longbow. I really am not fond of the tiny bows that are out so I am leaning towards a crossbow at this point. What do you hard core boys use or recommend for a novice crossbow owner that's a good starting point but will be adequate to hunt with if I am so inclined to do so?

Try to find a used Excalibur. In my opinion they're the best. I have one that's maybe 15 years old and it's taken close to 70 deer. It's not the fastest but it does the trick. If you decide the spend the money I have a new one that cost around a grand. It's faster than it needs to be but I love it. I'm keeping both just so I always have a back up.

Try to find a used Excalibur. In my opinion they're the best. I have one that's maybe 15 years old and it's taken close to 70 deer. It's not the fastest but it does the trick. If you decide the spend the money I have a new one that cost around a grand. It's faster than it needs to be but I love it. I'm keeping both just so I always have a back up.
I will look around and see what I can find. I know a lot of hunters up here and I might be able to work an AR-15 trade into a nice one. I will look for that brand in particular. Thank you that's exactly what I needed. A long time user and hunters recommendation.

I am thinking I would like to add a crossbow to my collection of defense and hunting apparati. So I am seeking some info on what would be a decent make and model to have laying around. I have a big yard and shooting would be a good way to occupy some time and get some trigger time in when I am not shooting my firearms. I have had many bows before but never a crossbow so I am completely out of the loop these days on both. It's been years since I have delved into the archery scene so I need some guidance. I don't want the absolute best crossbow made but I don't want a inferior piece of crap either. I need so solid recommendations on what crossbow or compound bow to play with out in the yard and possibly hunt with next year. I am thinking around the 500 dollar mark for maybe a good pre-owned set up or maybe a little more for a new longbow. I really am not fond of the tiny bows that are out so I am leaning towards a crossbow at this point. What do you hard core boys use or recommend for a novice crossbow owner that's a good starting point but will be adequate to hunt with if I am so inclined to do so?
What's your thoughts on the G340. Amazon has those for 500 in the nose. Is that their entry level unit or is it a decent model?

Back
Top Bottom