• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Craigslist Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a used car for my daughter. I don't care to buy from a dealer as I have no interest in someone profiting from selling me a used car. AutoTrader must have lost popularity because the used selection from individuals is miniscule. So, I decided to give Craigslist a try. Here's my findings after a week of looking on there.

I would honestly say that 30 to 35% of all the auto listings are scams. Examples would be - 2012 Honda Accord $2999.00. 2009 Toyota 4Runner $2500.00. There are tons of ads like these, all with desirable cars. The scam is "I'm in the Navy and I'm about to be deployed over seas. The car is in Kansas but I will have it shipped to you. The $2500.00 includes the transfer fee. Go ahead and wire me the money". I have set up a fake email account and started writing these "sellers". When I get them to respond, I tell them what effing pieces of garbage they are and a few other choice opinions.

If someone hasn't listed the total miles on the car, there's a reason for it.

If a picture of part of the car being photographed(lets say the drivers seat) doesn't show the entire seat - it's because the seat has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

If someone claims they never drove the car hard but list tons of aftermarket performance accessories, trust me, they've ridden this car harder than Ron Jeremy.

If a listing has pictures of a sub woofer cabinet in the trunk, it's owned by some punk ass. Don't even bother.

If a car is photographed wet, it's because the paint is trashed.

If there's an air freshener in the vent or hanging from the rear view mirror, it's because the car smells like crap or cigarette smoke.

Most of the listings in the "by owner" section are actually dealers.

Most of the miles are always "highway" miles. Yeah, sure.

If there's seat covers, the interior is trashed.

If your house is in the background of the photos and looks un-kept, than so has the car.

I can promise this - someone else's(the sellers) idea of "great or good" condition is very different from yours.

As of now, the hunt still continues. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Damn you know everything...

I disagree. Show me a law that says I can't go buy people's cars on Craigslist for the purpose of flipping. No different than buying cheap houses and flipping them buy owner without a brokers license. And every county requires a business license for businesses. If selling goods out of your garage for profit is not a business than I don't know what is. I pass the same garage sales at the same houses in my neck of the woods every weekend. I also pass the same fruit and vegetable stands. All businesses without licenses. Who cares? Just people trying to make an honest living.

Looks like as long as theyre not displayed on a property its ok.

http://giada.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Curb-Code.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom