• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

County tag office carry....

Can you legally carry at the County tag office?

• Yes! Merica'

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Hell 2 da NOOOOOOO

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters
According to HB60 as long as it isn't behind a checkpoint you are good to go:

(e) (1) A license holder shall be authorized to carry a weapon in a government building
207 when the government building is open for business and where ingress into such building
208 is not restricted or screened by security personnel.

Unless there is a metal detector or security station, you are legal, no matter what a cop may tell you.

I just texted a LEO buddy that works down there he said you can legally carry at our tag office.... I conceal carry anyways but I got my lil one with me and her new thing is to use my pistol as a foot rest when I carry her.

From Ga. Carry:
Q: What about the buildings in a city or county park?
A:
Yes, unless the park buildings qualify as “government buildings” under SB308, you may carry in the buildings.

Q: What is a government building?
A:
Government building means a building that houses an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state. In addition, any place where such government entity meets in its official capacity, but, if the building is privately owned, then only while the meeting is in session. If a privately owned building houses a government entity, then only the portion of the building that houses the government entity is off limits.

Q: Are state government buildings off limits?
A:
No. HB60 decriminalized the carrying of weapons into government buildings when the government building is open for business and where ingress into such building is not restricted or screened by security personnel. A license holder who enters or attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon where ingress is restricted or screened by security personnel shall be guilty of a misdemeanor if at least one member of such security personnel is certified as a peace officer. However if a license holder immediately exits such building or immediately leaves such location upon notification of his or her failure to clear security due to the carrying of a weapon shall not be guilty of a misdemeanor. A person who is not a license holder and who attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Here are excerpts from the actual senate bill 308 as passed
SB 308/CSFA/1
S. B. 308
- 6 -
(3) 'Government building' means:
(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;
(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided,
however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be
considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the
time such government entity is meeting at such building; or
(C) The portion of any building that is not
a publicly owned building that is occupied
by a government entity.
(4) 'Government entity' means an office, agency, authority, department, commission,
board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal
corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.
(5) 'Parking facility' means real property owned or leased by a government entity,
courthouse, jail, prison, school, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such
government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, school, place of worship, or bar for the
parking of motor vehicles at a government bu
ilding or at such courthouse, jail, prison,
school, place of worship, or bar.
(6) 'School' means any real property owned by or leased to any public or private
elementary school or secondary school and used for public or private elementary or
secondary education.
(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a
weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location
and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:
(1) In a government building;
(2) In a courthouse;
(3) In a jail or prison;
(4) In any school; provided, however, if the school is located in a place of worship, the
restrictions provided pursuant to this subsection shall only be applicable during school
hours or during school events;
(5) In any athletic facility during an event for which the Board of Regents of the
University System of Georgia has adopted a regulation prohibiting the carrying of
weapons or long guns into such events;
(6) In a place of worship, unless the presiding
official of the place of worship permits the
carrying of weapons or long guns by all or designated license holders;
(7) In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1 which admits
individuals on an involuntary basis for treatment of mental illness, developmental
disability, or addictive disease; provided, however, that carrying a weapon or long gun
in such location in a manner in compliance w
ith paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of this
Code section shall not constitute a violation of this subsection;

I'm no lawyer but it looks like a misdemeanor to me. There is a difference between "decriminalized" and "legal"

I think if the tag office is the only thing in the building you can carry. But all of the tag offices that I have been to share the building with other county government where carrying is a no no. In Gordon and Bartow they have signs and a security checkpoint.

Hmmmmmmm...... I asked a cop the other day, he said NO but I wasn't sure if it was illegal or just frowned upon.
My dad told me when I was a kid that the two worst places to get legal advise ; in gun stores and from cops...no offense to anyone in either of those businesses.

Back
Top Bottom