• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coronavirus Pandemic (many threads merged)

Is the Coronavirus going to cause a pandemic in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 197 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 127 28.0%
  • Too Early to guess

Votes: 130 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its gonna be important in the days to come, no matter how any of thinks this will shake out, to sit back and analyze the info objectively without being wrapped up in being "right". There really isn't a point in trying to convince people of our opinions on this. Even if it is entertaining at times.

Seems most have made up their minds one way or the other. Either it will be a problem or not. It's quite apparent that there is a huge segment of the population not quarantining so there will be no real stopping the virus if it's as bad as some, myself included, think it could be. The next 2 months will tell the story.

Might be good to keep an open mind to both the "it's not so bad" and "this is a clear and present danger" camps without narrowing our mindsets to the point we can't be objective regarding new information. I'm doing my best on that.

We can really only form opinions from the info provided and logic. Otherwise we are just pulling random thoughts out of the air which is pointless and detrimental. Lots of bad info out there which makes it difficult.

For myself, I'm just looking at the number of confirmed cases, the rate those are growing, the low end percentage of confirmed cases that require hospitalization, and the low end mortality rate. Then I do the math and apply logic as to what effect that will have on society. Ive been sticking with the numbers from the John's Hopkins map as, so far, imo, those numbers have been pretty steady and reliable.

I hope that the amount of people quarantining and a timely effective treatment will render all this speculation moot by clearing this up before it gets as bad as I believe it has the potential to be. And I certainly hope we can get through this without sending the world economy into a tailspin.

Bottom line though, if this does continue and gets worse we are in for some hard economic times. Whether you agree on how this is being handled or not it would be good to be prepared for a bad outcome as well as a good.

As cold as it sounds, my opinion is we should just let this burn through and out and accept the losses. As awful as that course has the potential to be, it's probably the net gain option. But, we don't have the political will for it and no one from gov is calling me up for my opinion. So, pointless to argue about my a$$hole opinion. I hope all the naysayers are proven correct and we get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Obviously there is still quite a bit of ignorance about the Imperial College report so for those interested, do your homework, and you'll see why these government responses are BS.

The Imperial College report predicted 500,000 deaths in the UK and around 2 million in the US, unless we did a shut down of potentially up to 18 months. As many articles will state, the US and UK based at least part of their initial response on this report.

The report was leaked, and immediately many other experts, including direct colleagues, started calling it into question. Approximately a week later, Neil Ferguson came out and adjusted that 500,000 dead in the UK down to 20,000 or less and he credited the UK's response on that HUGE adjustment. And that's how leftist media is now trying to cover it up because the UK's response was just 2 days into a lock down. Just 2 damn days, and he made that large of an adjustment in his dire predictions.

5 G Law was passed while everyone was distracted by this carona virus.
Screenshot_2020-04-05-09-51-12.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-04-05-09-51-12.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-05-09-51-12.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 21
I get that and wether or not we should be closing America is a issue all its own. I’m just saying what is it isn’t happening in ICUs is a reliable indicator of the severity of the disease.

In regards to closing America I honestly don’t know. I’m conflicted.

It is almost impossible to judge how effective what we are doing is. EVERYTHING we are doing and EVERYTHING that is suggested we should be doing is being done on half baked assumptions. I don’t say that critically or as an insult. We just don’t know.

I’m fortunate in regards to being able to go to work everyday. We moved things around a bit at the shop and spread guys out. We are practicing social distancing on job sites and I will be wearing a mask tomorrow when I leave for work in order to maybe keep me from spitting on anyone when I talk. My life hasn’t changed much so I can afford to be conflicted. If I owned a restaurant I may look at the data differently.

My issue is that the government responses were based on completely incorrect predictions. There have been plenty of experts who have called this virus into question, but they get little coverage.

There is no doubt this virus is serious, but we could've taken specific precautions for those that were vulnerable. And even though I'm against any stimulus, if we're gonna do it, we should've directed 100% of it to protecting the vulnerable only. And the rest of the economy could've kept rolling.

I'm fortunate as well, and I'm neither worried about the virus or any financial issues. In fact I see lots of business opportunities coming out of it. But we didn't have to destroy our economy over this nonsense.

Looking down the road. Trump is going to potentially make one of the hardest decisions a US President has ever encountered. When to OPEN THE USA FOR BUSINESS. HE will go down in history for this one decision. I know a lot of folks on here HATE the man but like Truman with the Atom Bomb, he will forever be remembered. Like IKE on D-DAY, Lincoln for the Civil War, he will be tested, he will be a place holder in US history.

My issue is that the government responses were based on completely incorrect predictions. There have been plenty of experts who have called this virus into question, but they get little coverage.

There is no doubt this virus is serious, but we could've taken specific precautions for those that were vulnerable. And even though I'm against any stimulus, if we're gonna do it, we should've directed 100% of it to protecting the vulnerable only. And the rest of the economy could've kept rolling.

I'm fortunate as well, and I'm neither worried about the virus or any financial issues. In fact I see lots of business opportunities coming out of it. But we didn't have to destroy our economy over this nonsense.

I don’t know that taking specific precautions towards those most vulnerable is that easy. How exactly do you quarantine those 65 and older, diabetics, those with heart disease and those undergoing chemo? Honest question, not an argument. I’ve thought about it and it’s incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to peal that group out of society effectively.

I don’t know that taking specific precautions towards those most vulnerable is that easy. How exactly do you quarantine those 65 and older, diabetics, those with heart disease and those undergoing chemo? Honest question, not an argument. I’ve thought about it and it’s incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to peal that group out of society effectively.

Well I haven't seen my older relatives in over a month. If they need something from the grocery store, we go get it, spray it down with 70% alcohol, leave, and I tell them to do the same after we leave. I can't stop them from doing their thing, but I've advised them not to.

For those older people who don't have access to people that can help them, take some of that stimulus money and setup a network to help them out. For the retirement homes and older care facilities, they can take some of that stimulus money and pay the workers bookoo bucks to keep themselves quarantined until there is either a vaccine or it blows over. I'm just spitballin here, and I'm sure there are plenty of things that they can do to strike a safe balance that doesn't destroy our economy at the same time. Especially when the fact remains that governments based their response for this on wildly inaccurate reports.

Back
Top Bottom