• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coronavirus Pandemic (many threads merged)

Is the Coronavirus going to cause a pandemic in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 197 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 127 28.0%
  • Too Early to guess

Votes: 130 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you imagine that your face mask was made in a clean room like something in a si-fi movie or computer chip room. Wrong.

fengmasks_wide-e9239aa41c4a043b2a460473994ac24308b818dd.jpg

https://metropole.at/open-letter-yale-epidemologist/

Open Letter from Jonathan Smith, Epidemiologist, Yale University School of Public Health

“This is not my opinion; this is the unforgiving math of epidemics for which I and my colleagues have dedicated our lives to understanding with great nuance, and this disease is no exception.”

pfft! Dedicated your lives to understanding....I’ve watched some you tube videos, and have a friend who got it that’s just fine. I know what I’m talking about and this thing is just a flu bug.

From the letter. "Study after study demonstrates that even if there is only a little bit of connection between groups (i.e. social dinners, playdates/playgrounds, etc.), the epidemic trajectory isn’t much different than if there was no measure in place. The same underlying fundamentals of disease transmission apply, and the result is that the community is left with all of the social and economic disruption but very little public health benefit. "
So unless we self quarantine without venturing out where we will have contact with others there would seem to be little impact from our current "shelter in place but go ahead and get your oil changed or run to the store for another 48 pack of TP"
Sounds a lot like this idea really works, except when it doesn't but it is the best idea and it really works I promise.

No one knows what the final numbers will be. That is why the models appear to be so wrong. Those numbers are not to far off if the assumption was that the number of confirmed cases equals the total number infected. We know that assumption is wrong. The question is how far apart is the confirmed number vs the true total.

Ok is my assumption wrong here?

I saw data that said 15% of tests come back positive. 15% of U.S. Population would be 50M. Is 50M the total number infected?

I know we can't really put numbers on this thing. Just thinking out loud I guess.

Also I keep seeing people here lately again call this a "flu" virus.

It is not a flu virus. It is a Coronavirus and a genetic relative to the SARS virus. In fact it's called SARS-CoV-2.

Stop with the misinformation.
Yeah but Kung-Flu sounds way better than Kung-Sars or Kung-covid
That said I'm sure we could come up with a "MY CARONA" song that would do quite nicely.

Yeah but Kung-Flu sounds way better than Kung-Sars or Kung-covid
That said I'm sure we could come up with a "MY CARONA" song that would do quite nicely.
I appreciate the humor with Kung-Flu and that's fine with me. I get the joke.

My comment was directed mainly towards @ChimChim.

"My brother had it and lived thru it. It was a miserable 4 days, FOUR DAYS, and yet by some miracle he didn't fall out and die. He said many people he sees are showing the same symptons he had and recovering just like he did.
Tell me again why I'M supposed to fall in line with this bs because everyone is afraid ?
People really are just sheep and there's a reason it's referred to as the Wuhan FLU
If you can survive the FLU you can survive this"

Ok is my assumption wrong here?

I saw data that said 15% of tests come back positive. 15% of U.S. Population would be 50M. Is 50M the total number infected?

I don't know if the people being tested are a random sample of the US population. I think they are probably NOT. I think most people who are tested think they need a test for one reason or another. This would imply that the overall infection rate would be less than the 15%. But I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom