• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Coronavirus Pandemic (many threads merged)

Is the Coronavirus going to cause a pandemic in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 197 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 127 28.0%
  • Too Early to guess

Votes: 130 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I completely forgot about the Folding@Home project.

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. As of today, the project is using the idle resources of personal computers owned by volunteers from all over the world. Thousands of people contribute to the success of this project.

https://www.gamesradar.com/nvidias-...-put-their-systems-to-work-fighting-covid-19/

After you install it, make sure it's set to "Any" for the projects. They said that Covid-19 gets priority.

My main computer is a i7 with 16gbs of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 ti.
I've got a couple others that have less horse power.
The neat thing is that you can set up Teams. If you guys want to set up an ODT Folding Team, let me know and I'll set it up.

upload_2020-3-14_12-11-13.jpeg

Not sure how accurate it is. It was on Facebook so I'm pretty sure its true.

"The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases:

Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon."

While it's nice of you to want to do that, it's a bad idea.

That type of network application leaves your computer wide open for abuse by a bad actor. It's a perfect hacking target, which means it is targeted.

Computing is cheap. Universities and research foundations have massive amounts of computing available to them.

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. As of today, the project is using the idle resources of personal computers owned by volunteers from all over the world. Thousands of people contribute to the success of this project.

https://www.gamesradar.com/nvidias-...-put-their-systems-to-work-fighting-covid-19/

After you install it, make sure it's set to "Any" for the projects. They said that Covid-19 gets priority.

My main computer is a i7 with 16gbs of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 ti.
I've got a couple others that have less horse power.
The neat thing is that you can set up Teams. If you guys want to set up an ODT Folding Team, let me know and I'll set it up.

If they supported BOINC, I would. For those on BOINC, Rosetta@Home is an option. http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

While it's nice of you to want to do that, it's a bad idea.

That type of network application leaves your computer wide open for abuse by a bad actor. It's a perfect hacking target, which means it is targeted.

Computing is cheap. Universities and research foundations have massive amounts of computing available to them.

I recall some issues decades ago.
Do you have any cites for recent problems?

Back
Top Bottom