• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

converting at/c rifle to a pistol Is it legal??

fatdaddy1

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
8   0
Reaction score
wanting a t/c pistol, on blood thinner and was told not to shoulder a gun.. I have a pro hunter rifle and thought I would purchase a set of grips and a barrell, and be good to go. I was informed by a gun dealer(friend of mine) it would be illegal as it was s/n as a rifle and the barrell cannot be less than 16"....anybody know of this???

wanting a t/c pistol, on blood thinner and was told not to shoulder a gun.. I have a pro hunter rifle and thought I would purchase a set of grips and a barrell, and be good to go. I was informed by a gun dealer(friend of mine) it would be illegal as it was s/n as a rifle and the barrell cannot be less than 16"....anybody know of this???

I'd just sell it and buy a pistol tc. Then again, if you can't shoulder a firearm, what makes you think that your wrists can bear the power presented in some of the t/c pistol calibers? Not trying to sound arrogant or rude, but something like a 30/30 in a pistol has to be extremely nasty.

Going in a different direction, who told you not to shoulder a gun and what is their basis for doing so? I know plenty of trap and sporting clays shooters who are on blood thinners, and they don't let it slow them down. Only medical reason I've known for not shouldering a gun is really bad shoulder, or someone who just had by-pass surgery. Even the by-pass people go back to shooting after they heal up, and they all are on blood thinner.

Not telling you to go against medical advice, if that is what it is, but I would sure look into the issue further.

To answer your question, T/C are a special case that went all the way to the Supreme Court. If you have a shoulder stock and a barrel longer than 16" you are good to go. If you have a barrel shorter than 16" and front pistol grips (which is what I assume you are referring to) then you have issues. Note that although the Supreme Court ruled against BATF on the T/C issue, BATF has never "accepted" the ruling, so you have to ask yourself how much you want to be the next test case.

The doctor who has me on blood thinners told me not to shoot because of brusing. It can cause a hemmorage or a clot that can go to the brain...It is not worth the risk for me, i guess to each his own.
I also talked to an agent at batf in atlanta this morning. He said as long as you are using a factory barrell and grips it is not aganist the law.

I have a pro hunter rifle and thought I would purchase a set of grips and a barrell, and be good to go.
I do not have experience with the t/c rifle, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut, but I used to own a pistol so I'll act like an expert.
I seem to remember that there is a difference between the mounting of the barrels on the rifles vs the pistol (at least in the "modern" pieces). Something is reversed so that the rifle barrels will not fit on the pistol grips and vise versa.

What do you mean by "a set of grips"? I do not believe the grips from the pistol will fit the rifle frame.

Last edited:
Going in a different direction, who told you not to shoulder a gun and what is their basis for doing so? I know plenty of trap and sporting clays shooters who are on blood thinners, and they don't let it slow them down. Only medical reason I've known for not shouldering a gun is really bad shoulder, or someone who just had by-pass surgery. Even the by-pass people go back to shooting after they heal up, and they all are on blood thinner.Not telling you to go against medical advice, if that is what it is, but I would sure look into the issue further.To answer your question, T/C are a special case that went all the way to the Supreme Court. If you have a shoulder stock and a barrel longer than 16" you are good to go. If you have a barrel shorter than 16" and front pistol grips (which is what I assume you are referring to) then you have issues. Note that although the Supreme Court ruled against BATF on the T/C issue, BATF has never "accepted" the ruling, so you have to ask yourself how much you want to be the next test case.
My father cannot shoulder a rifle due to detached retina. He could very possibly go blind.

The doctor who has me on blood thinners told me not to shoot because of brusing. It can cause a hemmorage or a clot that can go to the brain...It is not worth the risk for me, i guess to each his own.
I also talked to an agent at batf in atlanta this morning. He said as long as you are using a factory barrell and grips it is not aganist the law.
did you check with him on shooting a full house load like a rifle cartridge in a pistol? I understand but it seems it would do similar damage to your wrists.

Back
Top Bottom