• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Converting a Remington 700 BDL to Detach Magazine?

Also PTG is nowhere close to being the same as a Badger, Badgers have better tolerances and fit better in the stock. I am using a PTG hinged bottom metal in my hunting rifle because it will not get abused as much as my tac/comp guns but I use Badger in all of my heavy use guns.[/QUOTE]

Have you used the PTG DBM system? Or are you just basing your opinion of the hinged floor plate you have. I am sure the fit into the stock has to do with the inletting. If you use a dremel and got out of control vs having it done in a milling machine I can see where the fit may lack. But if it is only in someone's budget to go for something 1/4 less in price, let us give advice to them on how to make the most out of the system they can afford.

Also PTG is nowhere close to being the same as a Badger, Badgers have better tolerances and fit better in the stock. I am using a PTG hinged bottom metal in my hunting rifle because it will not get abused as much as my tac/comp guns but I use Badger in all of my heavy use guns.

Have you used the PTG DBM system? Or are you just basing your opinion of the hinged floor plate you have. I am sure the fit into the stock has to do with the inletting. If you use a dremel and got out of control vs having it done in a milling machine I can see where the fit may lack. But if it is only in someone's budget to go for something 1/4 less in price, let us give advice to them on how to make the most out of the system they can afford.[/QUOTE]

Did you READ my post, if you want to quote me QUOTE the whole comment, in the first portion of my post I said IF he was NOT using the PTG system for HARD USE he would be GTG(good to go) did I not. The fit has NOTHING to do with inletting, it has to do with the design ( sticking out of the bottom of the stock which can cause problem during different shooting positions).

My buy once cry once comment was for the mag question, pay the extra money and get the AICS. I have tried Alphas and Mccrees before trying to save 10 dollars and their rough lips always needed to get polished or the release catch would need to get modded to get a tight fit.

Also once you factor in the price of the Mag purchase, PTG's are half the price not 1/4 so let's give advice on Facts not Opinions.

Last edited:
This is interesting...I also was interested in doing a detachable mag conversion myself. But since grease monkey does not mean machinist, I opted out. In reality all I really wanted was more capacity, while still being able to top load the rifle.

I settled on the "Tactical Components" Mag Xtender replacement floor plate, used it for years with great success. Brings capacity to 7 rounds in .308, and cost's $20.00 from Midway. Keeps the value of the 700 up, without added cost of detachable mags.

Have you used the PTG DBM system? Or are you just basing your opinion of the hinged floor plate you have. I am sure the fit into the stock has to do with the inletting. If you use a dremel and got out of control vs having it done in a milling machine I can see where the fit may lack. But if it is only in someone's budget to go for something 1/4 less in price, let us give advice to them on how to make the most out of the system they can afford.

Did you READ my post, if you want to quote me QUOTE the whole comment, in the first portion of my post I said IF he was NOT using the PTG system for HARD USE he would be GTG(good to go) did I not. The fit has NOTHING to do with inletting, it has to do with the design ( sticking out of the bottom of the stock which can cause problem during different shooting positions).

My buy once cry once comment was for the mag question, pay the extra money and get the AICS. I have tried Alphas and Mccrees before trying to save 10 dollars and their rough lips always needed to get polished or the release catch would need to get modded to get a tight fit.

Also once you factor in the price of the Mag purchase, PTG's are half the price not 1/4 so let's give advice on Facts not Opinions.[/QUOTE]

Which DBM system does not stick out the bottom of the stock?

And I agree about not skimping on the Magazine.

Your response just hit me as kind of snobby. "I use Badger in all of my heavy use guns." :peace: Hence my reply.

[/QUOTE]Which DBM system does not stick out the bottom of the stock?

And I agree about not skimping on the Magazine.

Your response just hit me as kind of snobby. "I use Badger in all of my heavy use guns." :peace: Hence my reply.[/QUOTE]

1: Several bottom metals do not stick out of the bottom IE 2 of his choices the Wyatts and CDI, as well as badger. If properly inletted they are flush with the bottom of the stock.

2: Thank you

3: Saying something is for "Hard Use" is not snobby its fact. Would you use a Taurus PT709 to shoot IDPA or 3-Gun matches with? Probably not. There is a big difference between LE/MIL/Competition shooting with barricades, uneven terrain and obstacles and shooting off of a bench or just prone at the range. I have seen several magazine latches inadvertently get pushed by rocks or packs.

So if I offended you by saying that I actually use my stuff for what its meant to be used for, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom