• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Contact the ATF to keep pistol braces legal (merged threads)

I commented................

"A pistol brace does nothing to add or detract from the lethality of a pistol. Federal regulation by either banning or requiring NFA registration of braces after years of federal approval is driven by what? This whole thing seems to be more political in nature than anything else. Just another unnecessary regulatory hoop imposed upon the vast majority of civil and law abiding citizens who choose to keep and bear firearms of all kinds.

I have been a law enforcement officer for 25 years, and God willing I will soon retire. Banning or regulating braces that are legal as I type this will not have any effect on the criminal element in America who commit their evil deeds without any respect for the rule of law. It's only effect will be to declare a multitude of law abiding gun owner’s criminals over night with the stroke of an authoritarian pen without any regard for due process and the rule of law. That will in turn be viewed as a breach in procedural justice, a violation of the public’s trust and completely illegitimate. That doesn't sound like something Americans trusted by the public to enforce the rule of law in an unbiased and fair manner could do in good conscience.

Do the right thing ladies and gentlemen, not the easy thing tossed about by the current political wind, the right thing. In good faith stand by your current ruling made in a time when the only consideration was what was right for the American people. Do it not and you will be viewed as illegitimate by the law abiding public. And as you know procedural justice and legitimacy are the the necessary values you must adhere to earn the public’s trust. Without the public’s trust you will maintain the authority to police, for a time anyway, but eventually you will lose the power to police. The power to police granted by a public that views their police as honorable and trustworthy is the thing that makes this country so grand. It would be wise to be reminded of that and give it the greatest consideration as you move forward on this."

Put aside your tinfoil hat and your "old man screams at clouds attitude" and have the balls to tell the ATF why their idea of declaring braces unlawful is not what "We The People" find as legitimate or lawful. If you can't because you find it to hard or scary or whatever, fine, but for ****s sake stop telling everybody how you will not comply and go all bad ass when they come for your guns. Just spare us all that and get on the boxcar when the time comes.

Very well said, sir. I wish I had paid more attention in English classes. You write with a calligraphy pen I write with a crayon. :thumb:

"A pistol brace does nothing to add or detract from the lethality of a pistol. Federal regulation by either banning or requiring NFA registration of braces after years of federal approval is driven by what? This whole thing seems to be more political in nature than anything else. Just another unnecessary regulatory hoop imposed upon the vast majority of civil and law abiding citizens who choose to keep and bear firearms of all kinds.

I have been a law enforcement officer for 25 years, and God willing I will soon retire. Banning or regulating braces that are legal as I type this will not have any effect on the criminal element in America who commit their evil deeds without any respect for the rule of law. It's only effect will be to declare a multitude of law abiding gun owner’s criminals over night with the stroke of an authoritarian pen without any regard for due process and the rule of law. That will in turn be viewed as a breach in procedural justice, a violation of the public’s trust and completely illegitimate. That doesn't sound like something Americans trusted by the public to enforce the rule of law in an unbiased and fair manner could do in good conscience.

Do the right thing ladies and gentlemen, not the easy thing tossed about by the current political wind, the right thing. In good faith stand by your current ruling made in a time when the only consideration was what was right for the American people. Do it not and you will be viewed as illegitimate by the law abiding public. And as you know procedural justice and legitimacy are the the necessary values you must adhere to earn the public’s trust. Without the public’s trust you will maintain the authority to police, for a time anyway, but eventually you will lose the power to police. The power to police granted by a public that views their police as honorable and trustworthy is the thing that makes this country so grand. It would be wise to be reminded of that and give it the greatest consideration as you move forward on this."

Put aside your tinfoil hat and your "old man screams at clouds attitude" and have the balls to tell the ATF why their idea of declaring braces unlawful is not what "We The People" find as legitimate or lawful. If you can't because you find it to hard or scary or whatever, fine, but for ****s sake stop telling everybody how you will not comply and go all bad ass when they come for your guns. Just spare us all that and get on the boxcar when the time comes.
Mine wasn’t that good

Well said sir

this is my letter to them. easy to send,we need to flood them with comments and let them know.
dont bother with the "just sbr it" argument. most of us dont want the cost,intrusion,or oversight of a nfa item...
the link

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-weapons-with-stabilizing-braces#open-comment

trying to reclassify braces is another overreach. no item put on a firearm can magically change it into something else. the thought of a government agency that can, without oversight, change laws regarding a right is not only silly, but unconstitutional. try focusing on things that are harming Americans; alcohol and tobacco come to mind....
millions of these pistol braces have been sold; your actions stand to make millions of law abiding gun owners felons overnight. maybe this is your goal, maybe not..
no one has done ANY harm using a pistol brace, and criminals don't follow the law.
i do imagine it is far easier to pass laws on people who will follow them...but maybe focus on illegal activities instead of creating illegal activities.
also note that the 2nd amendment is a constitutional right, although we have foolishly allowed some infringement on that right in the past. but overreach will only force the law abiding people of America to rally together and force our elected officials to disband your agency.
what was allowed in the past will no longer be tolerated. for the last 50 years the demographic of gun ownership has changed. no longer is it limited more to one class, gender, race, or location. the new gun owners are white, black, brown, and tan...they are men, women, and every new gender.
focus on things that help keep guns away from criminals, don't focus on making criminals.
one a final note, the AR15 is America's new musket, the most common firearm in use today.
it is used for target shooting, competition shooting, hunting, it is collected, and it is used for home defense. particularly a braced pistol is far easier for a woman or someone of small stature to use. that alone should be enough of a reason not to infringe on them. unless you feel women and smaller people should not have the right to safely bear arms...
in closing, stop trying to legislate things that are in common use by the American people.
they have been sold in the millions, and used responsibly by millions, and harmed none.
thanks for your time and i look forward to you rethinking this idea.
Bob
p.s. i was under the impression that comments should be taken for 90 days. this particular opinion seems to have a comment period less than that.
WHY?

Back
Top Bottom