Collecting a Judgement?

cpw006

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to go through the process of collecting a judgment that was awarded to you? I received a judgment, but now I can't get a return from the other party. Surprise, surprise.

Should I use a collection agency or should I go through the courts?

The judgement was awarded in Barrow County if anyone knows a collection agency in that area.

Go thru court system. You will have to find something that is payed for to Levi on . Also if nothing is payed for you can record it in clerks office and if he goes to sell house he'll have to pay off your lien before he can get clear deed on property.

Has anyone ever had to go through the process of collecting a judgment that was awarded to you? I received a judgment, but now I can't get a return from the other party. Surprise, surprise.

Should I use a collection agency or should I go through the courts?

The judgement was awarded in Barrow County if anyone knows a collection agency in that area.

If you decide to go the court route, understand that it is a process and not an event. In very, very general terms, you are going to have to get a Fi. Fa.

There are lots of things that go into the process. You can't levy on a $25,000 truck to satisfy a $1000 judgment. The other party can pick property to satisfy the judgment. For instance, if they have two vehicles, they can pick which one is taken to be auctioned. The person seeking the levy is responsible for advertising and storage fees. Items seized will be auctioned. You can bid on them, but you can't take the actual property to satisfy the judgment. Money raised from the auction in excess of the levy is paid back to the person from which the property was levied. The above is not an exhaustive list.

Make sure that the judgment is listed on that individuals credit report. Whether he pays you or not, that listing will follow him for 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom