• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chestnut Mountain range - Georgia DNR input needed

Hello ODT. My wife and I are thinking of going up to Chestnut Mtn. DNR range and wondered if anyone has shot there? I can only see they have a 100 yard range. Are there any shorter pistol facilities? Can't pass up $5/person for the day. Just wondering what to take. Thanks!

It’s decent for the price. I go with my son and his friends once in a while. I use spray adhesive for my targets and put them on cardboard, hand them with binder clips and good to go.

Keep an eye out for the idiots, there is a lot of them there.

It’s decent for the price. I go with my son and his friends once in a while. I use spray adhesive for my targets and put them on cardboard, hand them with binder clips and good to go.

Keep an eye out for the idiots, there is a lot of them there.
So 2 days in on this thread, I've heard the good and the bad. Since we're going next Friday, that may help. I'll write a review when we get back. Thanks ODT for the inputs.

I use to go at least every other weekend and I have had great experiences and met nice people and I have almost died it’s just luck of the draw with who shows up. The range is nice and pretty well maintained. If you want to pick up brass do it before the “scrappers” show up...... two or three people who look like they are trying to get their next fix will show up and take all the brass and won’t ask if any of it’s yours or anything. To each their own it just sucks when they show up You got to stop what your doing and at least get what’s yours before it’s all hauled to the scrap yard

Hello ODT. My wife and I are thinking of going up to Chestnut Mtn. DNR range and wondered if anyone has shot there? I can only see they have a 100 yard range. Are there any shorter pistol facilities? Can't pass up $5/person for the day. Just wondering what to take. Thanks!

Theres a dnr range up above Calhoun, but just remember these open ranges sometimes bring out the mall ninjas.

https://georgiawildlife.com/johns-mountain-wma

I use to go at least every other weekend and I have had great experiences and met nice people and I have almost died it’s just luck of the draw with who shows up. The range is nice and pretty well maintained. If you want to pick up brass do it before the “scrappers” show up...... two or three people who look like they are trying to get their next fix will show up and take all the brass and won’t ask if any of it’s yours or anything. To each their own it just sucks when they show up You got to stop what your doing and at least get what’s yours before it’s all hauled to the scrap yard

I had this happen, its usually the same guy. Needless to say we had words.

Brass rats have been around since the first metallic cartridge was invented...

It’s nice when it’s empty. Ran to the car one time and came back to find a kid had mag dumped an AK at a steel target 10 yards away. He had used my book bag as a rest and managed to shoot a hole through it somehow? Not much different than most public ranges in regards to the negligent people that show up, there’s just less boundaries.

It’s nice when it’s empty. Ran to the car one time and came back to find a kid had mag dumped an AK at a steel target 10 yards away. He had used my book bag as a rest and managed to shoot a hole through it somehow? Not much different than most public ranges in regards to the negligent people that show up, there’s just less boundaries.
Standard

I believe all ga dnr ranges have safety rules ( may actually be laws). Even without RO’s. A call to dnr or leo might be a good idea.

Out in CO it is not uncommon for folks to use a air horn to recognize poor safety behavior at unmanned ranges. I once saw a very impressive woman go and stand behind some enthusiastic but untrained shooters and blast her horn, until they submitted to education.

Back
Top Bottom