• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CB Radio antenna issue

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I recently installed a Cobra 29 ltd classic and a Tram 300 magnet mount antenna. And even on the highway I couldn't get anyone on the radio. The first day out with my setup I lost the antenna going under some low lying trees and now I'm wondering if it's worth it to get another one. Did the cantilever extension on my ladder rack cause interference or is there something wrong with the radio, antenna or the tuning of the radio?

Attachments

• CB antenna location.jpg
    CB antenna location.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 47
I would invest in a wilson 1000 antenna or the wilson 500 if on a tight budget the lil wil is also a great one for a 29. It nc could also need to be peeked and tuned. and also want to make sure your swr's are set

Let's back up a step. Don't wanna spend more money unless it is gonna help. Did y'all see the pic? The antenna will be just forward of where the aluminum cross member is for my ladder rack.

Or perhaps yall can suggest an alternate location/mounting for the antenna.

Last edited:
Let's back up a step. Don't wanna spend more money unless it is gonna help. Did y'all see the pic? The antenna will be just forward of where the aluminum cross member is for my ladder rack.

Or perhaps yall can suggest an alternate location/mounting for the antenna.

Yes, any bit of metal inline with the antenna will reflect or deflect the signal during transmit. Sometimes for the good, like pushing the signal forward of the vehicle. Other times it will just scatter the signal. The effect on receive would be different depending on which direction it's coming from.

You want the bulk of the radiator above any metal structure. Which for that antenna would be any part above the magnet. But it also needs a ground plane, which is your roof.

And as Stevebob asked, what does the vswr look like?

My guess is you just bought it and slapped it on the truck. Which I was eager to do also, but its really important to have the SWR meter and tune it. Un-tuned I only got like 1/8 of a mile with my magnet mount antenna. After properly tuned I was able to get .91 miles with some interference and obstructions. Big difference. BTW some radioshack locations are having a store wide sale so check them out.

My guess is you just bought it and slapped it on the truck. Which I was eager to do also, but its really important to have the SWR meter and tune it. Un-tuned I only got like 1/8 of a mile with my magnet mount antenna. After properly tuned I was able to get .91 miles with some interference and obstructions. Big difference. BTW some radioshack locations are having a store wide sale so check them out.
BTW What antenna were you using? And did you look at my original pic? What was your setup? Did you have anything that would cause any interference such as my ladder rack?

BTW What antenna were you using? And did you look at my original pic? What was your setup? Did you have anything that would cause any interference such as my ladder rack?

I have a Tram 703, uniden 520lx and I don't have anything on my roof that would reflect signal. I will update the readings again after the radio breaks in... I tuned it awhile ago and now it's a different reading... Kinda weird.

Back
Top Bottom