• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

carry from GA to IA help

Stay out of Illinois, period. I had a problem once in southern IL at a rest stop on I-80, about midnight. Hoodlums looking for an easy mark. I was coming back from hunting in Wyoming. I had a pistol plus rifles. I intimidated the hoodlums and left, but I did not call LEO. They would have arrested me. I left the hoodlums there to prey on somebody else. I hated it, but that`s the world we live in. Three maggots in a maggot car, out of gas and money. This was in the late 90s.

Dude!!! you were lost!!!! I-80 runs from the southside of Chicago west to the Quad cites, pretty much in a straight line, it is 300 miles from southern Illinois.

I don't stop at interstate rest stops after dark ANYWHERE.

I take I-24 to just south of Paducah, KY, take Hwy 62 to Wycliffe, KY and cross where IL, MO, KY meet. . . Only hiccup was the bridge was out over Big Muddy one year and had to take road up into Illinois from Cairo and cross at Cape Girardeau.

This happened to us a few months ago.

Bridgework at Wycliffe. Check to see if they are done.

We ended up driving from Wycliffe north to Metropolis, IL.

This happened to us a few months ago.

Bridgework at Wycliffe. Check to see if they are done.

We ended up driving from Wycliffe north to Metropolis, IL.

If this is an Army Corps of Engineers project it won't be done in this century. My nephew is an engineer on this project and it is a GIANT CLUSTER. They get about 80% done, then get a new head engineer who wants to tear stuff out and do it his way, repeat, repeat. He has been working down there for 25 years, he plans on retiring before it is ever completed.

kinda looking for a way to avoid IL all together. i can map it out,but i cant figure out how to avoid a state on mapquest.
i dont mind the extra drive time,i just dont want to go thru IL at all. what i was hoping for was a way to rout around the state without needing to go in and manipulate the map.
There’s a route that takes you straight TN KY to MO that doesn’t go through IL. Not that many more miles. Should be easy to get the GPS to avoid IL I was doing taking that route in my big truck.

Back
Top Bottom