• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

carry from GA to IA help

As an USCCA Member, I will share with you the map of Reciprocity with Georgia CCW:
Screenshot_20201025-210420_Samsung Internet.jpg

NOTE:
South Carolina:
Open carry of a handgun is illegal in South Carolina.
COLORADO:

Open carry is legal in Colorado for any person who is at least 18 years old and who can legally possess a firearm, except in Denver county and other posted areas. Local governments may enact regulations prohibiting open carrying of firearms in a building or specific area within the local government’s jurisdiction, as long as signs are posted to that effect.

Concealed carry is legal in Colorado for residents with a Colorado permit to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) and non-residents with a CCW permit from a state that Colorado honors. CCW permits can be issued to any resident at least 21 years old and not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. Concealed carry permits require a firearms training course that has been state-approved. Colorado doesn’t issue non-resident permits with the exception of members of the military permanently stationed in Colorado and their immediate family members that live in the state. In terms of reciprocity, Colorado will only honor resident CCW licenses from states with which it has a reciprocity agreement.

Drove Through IL on my way to IA several years ago. I gassed up prior to IL state line and then didn't stop till I got through IL. kept gun in trunk. I was only "naked" less than 2 hours.

i get that,and even though its rural IL. its still IL..
if i needed it,what good does it do to be alive and in Joliette??
thats why i was looking for a mapquest way of avoiding an area.
that way i dont accidentally cross into land.
we have all been using gps and it drops signal,then when it fires back up it re-routs to a different rout.
if that happens and we rout thru IL,thats a problem.
thanks for all the input and info...

Stay out of Illinois, period. I had a problem once in southern IL at a rest stop on I-80, about midnight. Hoodlums looking for an easy mark. I was coming back from hunting in Wyoming. I had a pistol plus rifles. I intimidated the hoodlums and left, but I did not call LEO. They would have arrested me. I left the hoodlums there to prey on somebody else. I hated it, but that`s the world we live in. Three maggots in a maggot car, out of gas and money. This was in the late 90s.

My old inlaws are in SE IA. I made that trip many times.
Either gas up in Padukah, KY and drive non stop thru IL, OR go AL->MS(cut a corner)->TN->MO->IA. I've done both.
In the 1st scenario Padukah is a good stopping pint. Hotels are cheap, food is good, GA GWL is recognized.

2nd route is a bit longer (an couple of hours), but not bad.

After you program the route, if using your phone, download the offline map. This way you will have navigation even if cell signal is lost. GPS chip will work without the cell signal, if map is stored in the phone.

Make sure tires are rated for snow and ice. IA, MO, IL get a lot of black ice and snow drifts.

St Lois can be a pain to get thru, try to hit after 7PM or between 9 and 11AM, or 2-4PM.

Stop at Hannibal, MO, if you have time, and do a tour of the Mark Twain's cavern (from Tom Sawyer).

Back
Top Bottom