• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

carry from GA to IA help

poopdaddy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
498   0
Reaction score
ok
so next month i need to drive the boss lady to Davenport Iowa.she is taking part 4 of her national boards. stupid covid has messed us up. she should have already been done. dont want to fly,because if someone was sick on the flight,she may not be able to sit for part 4.
also if we drive we can check out the American pickers store in IA,and on the way back in TN..
plus after all the time in school,it will be fun to have a get away road trip..

i dont want to make that run un-armed a few weeks after the election(or anytime). Ga has reciprocity with every state on the way,except Illinois.
what i am looking for is a map app that i can use to map out around Illinois. i can mod the mapquest one,but i would like a way to be sure i dont cross into a nazi state..
anyone got and info??
thanks for the help
Bob

Stay away from Chicago area and you will be OK. Atlanta to Nashville to Paducah to Mt. Vernon to Lebanon, up Route 4 to I-55, to Lincoln to Peoria to Davenport.

You don't get closer than about 150 miles from Chicago. Carry unloaded guns in trunk of car while in Illinois, but this route is 90% rural farmland.

The Old Jaybird, Illinois resident from 1947 to 1987.

Have a friend that travels that area shuttling rental cars, Illinois is locked down due to covid, limited places to eat, but Iowa is wide-open, like Georgia.

Stay away from Chicago area and you will be OK. Atlanta to Nashville to Paducah to Mt. Vernon to Lebanon, up Route 4 to I-55, to Lincoln to Peoria to Davenport.

You don't get closer than about 150 miles from Chicago. Carry unloaded guns in trunk of car while in Illinois, but this route is 90% rural farmland.

The Old Jaybird, Illinois resident from 1947 to 1987.

Have a friend that travels that area shuttling rental cars, Illinois is locked down due to covid, limited places to eat, but Iowa is wide-open, like Georgia.

This. I do this drive at least once a year. Plan your stops and you’ll be through IL in 6.5-7 hours.

kinda looking for a way to avoid IL all together. i can map it out,but i cant figure out how to avoid a state on mapquest.
i dont mind the extra drive time,i just dont want to go thru IL at all. what i was hoping for was a way to rout around the state without needing to go in and manipulate the map.

I drive to Illinois at least annually. Your carry permit is good to get your through the state. If you stop and exit your vehicle, you'll need to unload and stow while out to remain legal. My suggestion would be to fill up in Paducah and drive through SW Illinois, then fill up again west of St. Louis.

kinda looking for a way to avoid IL all together. i can map it out,but i cant figure out how to avoid a state on mapquest.
i dont mind the extra drive time,i just dont want to go thru IL at all. what i was hoping for was a way to rout around the state without needing to go in and manipulate the map.

I did it last year by way of the Ozarks. You’ll just have to cut over into MO and avoid the southern tip of IL. Probably add several hours Of drive time and you won’t see an interstate for a long time. Lol

Illinois is like a "double Georgia", Chicago is twice the size of metro Atlanta, and the total state population is about double too. Rural IL is like rural GA, except with bigger deer, and much flatter.

I take I-24 to just south of Paducah, KY, take Hwy 62 to Wycliffe, KY and cross where IL, MO, KY meet (you are in Illinois (near Cairo, IL for 3 to 4 miles until halfway across Mississippi River and FOPA should cover you for that short time.) Take I-55 north from Sikeston, MO, skirt St. Louis and mapquest from there. I have traveled that route once a year for past 7 years. Only hiccup was the bridge was out over Big Muddy one year and had to take road up into Illinois from Cairo and cross at Cape Girardeau.

I just made the run home from Chicago. Flew in and drove home.

Only rule is your carry piece has to be secured (loaded) or unloaded. Secured is in a locked glove box or other locked box or where yo can not reach it easily. It also cannot leave your car to o into a restaurant, but can go into your motel.

Back
Top Bottom