• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Carpenter bee load

Fire4Effect

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
26   0
Reaction score
I've come across an idea that I'm wanting to try. The basic idea can be found here. http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/192218-carpenter-bee-load-38-special.html. It's a .38 special loaded with walnut media to kill carpenter bees. Only problem is I no longer have a .38 special. I'm thinking I could do something similar with either 9mm or 45acp. I have reloading equipment for both.

Here is is what I would like to accomplish. It needs to be no louder than a cap gun and whatever combination it should do no more than tear paper yet not punch through cardboard. It could either work with no powder or just a few grains of something like bullseye or hp38. It has got to be safe for the gun as well.

My biggest problem is trying to figure out a wad to use. I'm thinking about cutting patches to fit and heating wax into the cut patch to create a semi stiff wad. I'm not really sure if this would work. The guy in the post said he used gasket paper but I'm not sure what that is. I would be interested in hearing your ideas.

I do realize this won't cycle, but I'm hoping it can kill some carpenter bees.

Truth be told this weekend a mess of fig beetles took over my yard. If you've never seen one they are about twice as big as a carpenter bee. The damn things kept running into my gutters and windows Friday night. Scared me a few times. Worst part is they have been killing my grass and I don't have figs. They move too fast for a tennis racket.

Gasket paper can be bought at any auto parts store. Ask the oldest guy working there, not many people make their own gaskets anymore so its usually buried on some shelf.

You can make a hole punch by taking a fired case and sharpening the top some. I have used pistol cases to punch bolt holes in homemade gaskets.

Oh, and you need a 38/357. Every gun guy, especially if you reload needs one.

Back
Top Bottom