• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

C&R FFL versus Trust

The main reason i got a C&R years ago was just so i could get better pricing at Midway and brownells. Pays for itself easily.

C&R DOES cover machineguns. You still have to fill out a form 4, $200 and wait, but you save a transfer most of the time, and it comes straight to you, not to a dealer.

Negative, and its not a gray area either. Sorry that came out kinda ****ish, and i don't mean it to. There was an amnesty registration period back in 68, but that is long over. If you find an unregistered gun, you have a few options. Immediately disassemble it, torch cut the receiver into 3 pieces, removing at least .25" with each cut, and sell it as a parts kit; find a licensed historical registered museum you can donate it to; or a PD can take it. I'll have to pull out my old "Machine Gun Dealer's Bible" and freshen up on that. It as a chapter on just this.

Sadly, the ATF leaves no room for people who had no idea what they had. There is absolutely NO way to transfer an unregistered MG to a civilian.

No worries man. Thanks for the clarification. I havent come across that scenario in life, just hypothetical. How are DIAS handled? Dropping it into a semi-auto AR would technically be manufacturing of a Class 3 weapon, correct? So those are off limits? (Yeah i know this post is heading in a different direction lol)

thanks everyone for the input. Im going to setup the trust for my NFA stuff and then get a C&R license just for the discounts- might come in hand one day

Registered DIAS and Lightning Links are considered a MG in and of themselves. Kind of like HK Sears. So you can drop them in whatever you like with few exceptions. For DIAS, you need to have a "low shelf" lower though.

If I were to buy a transferable M16 type gun though, I would only want a Registered Receiver. No way I'd pay that much for a DIAS or a lightning link.

Thanks again. I checked out your site by the way. i might be giving you a call once im ready to buy a suppressor. You have Keith Wood listed as a good attorney for NFA trusts. Do you know what he charges now and if anyone has had his trusts rejected?

Back
Top Bottom