• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

C&R FFL versus Trust

YoungGunner

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
I'm looking at stepping into the world of Class III weapons/accessories. Can anyone provide some insight on a Curio and Relics license versus setting up a trust? From my understanding, a trust will enable you to bypass a CLEO when obtaining weapons and allows those added to the list of trustees to use the weapon/accessory- regardless of the age and status of the weapon/accessory. But a C&R license only allows you to obtain these items if they are 50+ years old or classified as a C&R. Are there any benefits of one over the other? What are the pros and cons of each?

You're kinda talking apples and oranges here.

The main thing you use the C&R for in the NFA world is for C&R machine guns. With those, you can buy them direct, out of state, and they ship to your door upon form 4 approval, just like an old 1903 would. No need to ship to a dealer here, then transfer. It also makes those types of guns cost more as well.

A trust is used primarily for non C&R guns, like suppressors, SBRs, AOWs and MGs.

I'm definitely going to get a couple of supressors and MGs. havent decided on SBRs yet though. But the trust would cover these. My question is more for items that are both CR and fall under C3 MGs, i.e thompson or M1918. (if i can find one). Would a trust be sufficient for these as well or is a CR license requried? Is the waiting period still the same for transfers to C&R license holders as it is for trusts? @lazarus i agree, it does seem like the C&R is useless, but i just wanted to be sure i'm not overlooking something that might be beneficial in that regards.

I see. I think if you are already planning on getting suppressors just get the trust. Trust covers MGs too but you'd have go through a C3 dealer whereas if the MG is old enough to be covered under the C&R you can get it sent directly to you.

Do you still have to fill out Form 1 or 4 and go through the 6+ month wait if your have a CR license?- of so, there doesnt seem to be any benefit of having it.

Ok. Anyone used Attorney Michael Douglas King in Marietta for setting up the trust? I keep hearing his name pop up. I'd prefer to go to a lawyer as opposed to using the software myself.

Ok. Anyone used Attorney Michael Douglas King in Marietta for setting up the trust? I keep hearing his name pop up. I'd prefer to go to a lawyer as opposed to using the software myself.

Lots of people but unfortunately he moved to Alaska.

I should edit this to add another lawyer has taken over the practice but I don't know the rates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom