• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C&R FFL versus Trust

Doug did my original one too. It is just a brown's standard trust.

OP get a C&R and do a trust. Use the C&R for the midwayUSA and brownells discounts. Then when you find a C&R MG you want, use it for that too. You still have to do the form 4 and the wait, but you eliminate the additional transfer to a dealer in your state, and you save an extra $200 in transfer fees if its coming from a non-SOT payer.

Then use the trust for every NFA item that isn't C&R.

Doug did my original one too. It is just a brown's standard trust.

OP get a C&R and do a trust. Use the C&R for the midwayUSA and brownells discounts. Then when you find a C&R MG you want, use it for that too. You still have to do the form 4 and the wait, but you eliminate the additional transfer to a dealer in your state, and you save an extra $200 in transfer fees if its coming from a non-SOT payer.

Then use the trust for every NFA item that isn't C&R.

This is the guy you are looking for. Roy Baker 229-869- 8210 Roy @ Georgianfatrust.com [URL="http://www.georgianfatrust.com/" said:
www.georgianfatrust.com[/URL]

Doug King did my original trust, and Roy helped with some changes. Roy is top notch.

thanks guys. I'm going to give Roy a call and get it all setup. With a C&R license, are you able to purchase pre-ban historical weapons that are not registered through ATF? From my reading, with a trust you can only purchase those that were registered prior to May 1986.

Any gun that fires more than one shot per trigger pull should have ATF paperwork with it. If it doesn't, run away. Not sure what you mean by pre-ban historical weapons not registered. ALL CIVILIAN LEGAL MACHINEGUNS are registered with the ATF.

Right, they should. but hypothetically, say someone's grandfather stashed away some thompsons in his attic after prohibition and just never registered them. they are of historic value and are older than 50 years. Could i purchase them and then inform the ATF of the find? or could the grandfather now register them with the ATF and then transfer them? or would they just be destoryed since they werent registered prior to 1986? granted, all of this is highly unlikely but there seems to be alot of undefined gray area. I want to be sure i'm following the law in all possible scenarios.

Negative, and its not a gray area either. Sorry that came out kinda ****ish, and i don't mean it to. There was an amnesty registration period back in 68, but that is long over. If you find an unregistered gun, you have a few options. Immediately disassemble it, torch cut the receiver into 3 pieces, removing at least .25" with each cut, and sell it as a parts kit; find a licensed historical registered museum you can donate it to; or a PD can take it. I'll have to pull out my old "Machine Gun Dealer's Bible" and freshen up on that. It as a chapter on just this.

Sadly, the ATF leaves no room for people who had no idea what they had. There is absolutely NO way to transfer an unregistered MG to a civilian.

I got my C&R, but unless you are into oddball military rifles I found it really isn't that much use.

With rifles, the shipper can use USPS for cheap mailing to your door. Works OK, but there just aren't a lot of generally useful surplus rifles you can get this way.

Mosins and SKS's are already dirt cheap (or used to be) at stores and shows. If you're getting a Garand or Spfld 1903, you're probably paying so much that the shipping costs to an FFL and transfer fee is trivial.

The only one that ever worked for me was a Spanish Mauser in 308. Cheap rifle and $25 shipping was a steal, but I could have easily done it through an FFL for a few bucks more.

With handguns, USPS won't take them so you end up paying $50-$100 in next day shipping from UPS or FedEx to get them shipped to your address (and you have to be there to sign).

I've found it's cheaper just to have them shipped to Cherokee Gun & Pawn as an FFL, since they don't charge for transfers. The shipper can use USPS then, and the shipping costs are much less.

The C&R sounded like a good deal, but I really don't see the utility today unless the shipping rules change.

Oh, and as mentioned by others, machine-guns definitely are not covered under a C&R license.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom