• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bullet Recommendation for Deer .223

Well just found out my barrel is a 1 in 12 so i guess i am stuck with lighter bullets. Looks like this little 223 is destined for small game or a plinker.

In this case I would look at the 40gr Sierra BK. They do a number on deer and yote's. You put one in the lungs and I assure you that you will eat venison.

Last edited:
70 grain TSX is devastating if you have a 1:8 or 1:7 twist. My other favorite is 62 grain Fusion. I have killed several deer with both of these. The 70 TSX always got complete pass-thru and exit wounds similar to larger deer cartridges. The Fusion has done great internal damage and holds together well.

If you have a 1:12 twist rate, then just use a standard 55 grain soft point and pick your shots. Make sure there are no leaves or brush obstructing your view. Aim for just behind the shoulder or a cross shot through the front of the chest and between the shoulder blades. If you have a clear head shot take it

I have heard good things about 55 grain TSX. You'll need to google and make sure the longer all copper bullet will stabilize in the 1:12 and it if will you should be good to go. The TSX are longer than copper/lead bullets and need a little faster twist.

Or two other options... you can get another barrel or better yet, buy a 300BLK full upper and slap on it for deer hunting.

Honestly, my deer hunt gun of choice is a Marlin 336 - 30/30. But I'm a little old school when it comes to deer hunting.

.223 is plenty adequate for deer, killed many of them with it, one shot in the boiler room is all that's needed. I would keep the range under 250. If you have any doubt about it's killing power, go shoot a 4x4 post with a good quality 55 grain bullet and let me know what you think. A deer's hide, ribs and internal organs are not near as tough as a 4x4 pressure treated post.

64 grain power point (Winchester) or Federals 64 grain load. Federal also make a 55 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in their premium line. Any of the three would work fine.

Back
Top Bottom