• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bullet Recommendation for Deer .223

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
I know the controversy surrounding hunting with a .223 and I have not decided if I plan to do so yet. I do reload and if I choose to do so, I am looking for real life results on Georgia white tail with .223 as far as bullet recommendation. For sake of this, lets assume that all shots will be boiler room.. no neck or head shots. All being done 50 yards or closer.

I have heard the barnes TSX was effective... also the Nosler Partitions

Just my, .02...if I was going to reload for the 223 and hunt with it, I'd probably go with a 60-70 partition and DO try for the head shot/base of the neck or spine shot. A shot in the head from a 90 grain .243 will drop them nicely at a pretty fair poke...I'd probably feel safer making the head shot with a 223 than a rib shot (but wouldn't think the 223 couldn't do it just fine). Nosler partition 60 grain spitzer looks like it has pretty nice loads available.

I recommend the larger bullets as well, something 69 grain and up. Just make sure you have either a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate rifle barrel if you plan on shooting the heavy bullets. 1:7 preferred. The twist rate on the heavier bullets will help stabilize the bullets, especially at longer distances. I would go with the Nosler Partition or a Sierra Game King. I like both these bullets for White Tail. A Barnes Triple Shock would also be a good choice but they are a little more expensive.

I hunt with a 22-250, and 99% of the time I head shoot. On the rare occasion I've put one in the boiler room, the 55GR Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tips have worked without a hitch. I have no doubt any of the quality 223 you choose will do the same.

I've taken Georgia deer with a single round of each of the following.
68 grain OTM Black Hills
77 grain OTM Black Hills
64 grain Winchester PowerPoint
60 grain Nosler Partition (Black Hills)
55 grain Barnes all copper slug
55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Federal

The only one I'd never use again is the Winchester Powerpoint. It dropped a buck with a neck shot but the bullet "bounced" off the spinal column exiting near the entrance wound. All the others were shot through the chest from the side or front - penetrating the heart or lungs. Exploding the heart and lungs in some cases.
The Open Tip Match loads at under 100 yards do a terrific amount of damage.
The Nosler Partition load was all around most impressive in width of wound channel and penetration.

Last edited:
Best Deal is a Privi Partasan 69g Match HPBT. Will need the 1:9 twist or better. I've killed many with chest cavity shots. Doesn't knock them down on the spot usually, but drops them slightly faster than most broadheads in my experience.

For about 5 years on and off, I've used a Mini-14 loaded with bulk Wolf 55-grain HP. I dropped a 7 pointer at 60 yards, but I did have a doe get away last year. I don't know how far away the doe was, and she was on the run when I shot her.
A couple of years ago, I was hunting with the sunrise. I had 5 deer come into a clearing and dropped all 5 with 5 boiler room shots.

Back
Top Bottom