• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bullet Recommendation for Deer .223

For about 5 years on and off, I've used a Mini-14 loaded with bulk Wolf 55-grain HP. I dropped a 7 pointer at 60 yards, but I did have a doe get away last year. I don't know how far away the doe was, and she was on the run when I shot her.
A couple of years ago, I was hunting with the sunrise. I had 5 deer come into a clearing and dropped all 5 with 5 boiler room shots.

You took at shot at a deer that you didnt know how far away it was AND it was running???

Well just found out my barrel is a 1 in 12 so i guess i am stuck with lighter bullets. Looks like this little 223 is destined for small game or a plinker.

Originally Posted by theduke87
For about 5 years on and off, I've used a Mini-14 loaded with bulk Wolf 55-grain HP. I dropped a 7 pointer at 60 yards, but I did have a doe get away last year. I don't know how far away the doe was, and she was on the run when I shot her.
A couple of years ago, I was hunting with the sunrise. I had 5 deer come into a clearing and dropped all 5 with 5 boiler room shots.

You took at shot at a deer that you didnt know how far away it was AND it was running???

Ditto.

Responsibility should come first.

I know the controversy surrounding hunting with a .223 and I have not decided if I plan to do so yet. I do reload and if I choose to do so, I am looking for real life results on Georgia white tail with .223 as far as bullet recommendation. For sake of this, lets assume that all shots will be boiler room.. no neck or head shots. All being done 50 yards or closer.

I have heard the barnes TSX was effective... also the Nosler Partitions
I had the same issue a couple of months ago, I was planning on using .223 for deer, read pretty much every article on the internet, some say .223 is good enough for deer, others say the opposite. I was planning on using Barnes Vor-TX 55gr bullet ($27-$30 a box!), my twist rate was 1:10 and I believe that with a good shot you will kill deer, just aim for the vitals. You can also do what I did, sold the .223 and got .308 :)

I had the same issue a couple of months ago, I was planning on using .223 for deer, read pretty much every article on the internet, some say .223 is good enough for deer, others say the opposite. I was planning on using Barnes Vor-TX 55gr bullet ($27-$30 a box!), my twist rate was 1:10 and I believe that with a good shot you will kill deer, just aim for the vitals. You can also do what I did, sold the .223 and got .308 :)

lol... yeah, I have 2 .308's I hunt with already. A bolt gun for the open field (200yrds) and a saiga for the swamp/bush (50 yards avg). I was just thinking the .223 would be a nice change and is much lighter than either weapon I currently use. I may just try it in the swamp at closer ranges and go for head shots.

The .223 is deadly on deer just like a broadhead. And in my experience you have to hunt with a .223 somewhat like an archer or a handgun hunter for that matter. I pass on moving deer. I pass on even a whisp of brush or pine needles. If you can choose your shots like an archer, the .223 is great but with more range than a bow of course.

Hornady tap ammo always put em down for me neck shots ( decappitation central) or thru the shoulder or ribs, round is too fast to expand thru light skinned game

Back
Top Bottom